The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 7th March 2008   #1
Jeff Altenburg
(newtsrfun)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: newtsrfun has given good advice and informationnewtsrfun has given good advice and information
Default Emergency! Prolapse of the cloaca?

I just noticed this- Never seen it happen inreal life- picture in CC was hard to compare to.

This guy is in terrible shape- his skin is just falling off in places. Hates the salt baths, gets pale in them, and when I put him in the main tank to get a break from all the treatments while I cleaned the hopital tank, he got chewed up again! now back in the hospital, he is just not healing up that great. Thankfully still eating.

but the possible prolapse, thats a major concern right now. (second picture cloaca not pictured, notice skin on foot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axclc1.JPG
Views:	1200
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2549   Click image for larger version

Name:	axcal2.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2550  

newtsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008   #2
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

I'm not sure it's a prolapse. I don't see any protuberance. My guess would be that the cloaca is swollen with secondary infection from the nearby limb wounds. Looks bad.

Good luck.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008   #3
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
My guess would be that the cloaca is swollen with secondary infection from the nearby limb wounds. Looks bad.

Good luck.
I agree, that's a pretty nasty infection it's got going on it's leg. How much salt per water volume are you putting in the salt baths? They are normally pretty tolerant of salt baths for me.

Keep it cool, and in very clean water.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008   #4
Jeff Altenburg
(newtsrfun)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: newtsrfun has given good advice and informationnewtsrfun has given good advice and information

Well, he was being treated with a low concentration salt solution for 24 hours a day, which useally works just fine in preventing infection. But for some reason, he really freaked out when I gave him a high concentration salt bath last week, he started rolling and rolling and a pulled him out right away. I changed out all the water, and tried a low salt content again, and then just clean water for a few days after he seemed a bit better, and then salt again, and thats when he started to lose coloration, so I had to stick him back in the main tank, then he got bit again, and that one got infected, and now its back to medium salt, and I will give him breaks in the second hospital tank with just water and a tiny bit of salt between higher concentration baths, which are about 2-2.5 teaspoons per liter, which I am going to try to keep him in as long as I can.

newtsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloaca, emergency, prolapse