Starting Up Questions

I'm currently saving for another tattoo, so I'm holding off getting another tank for now. I also need to buy a chiller before summer comes.

Unfortunately my list of things I'm saving for usually gets attacked by the things I need.
Like my darn glasses. Thankfully I can still get away with my old ones because I only wear them around the house, and contacts the rest of the time.

Is Lance still being a pain? XD

she is always a nuisance I'm afraid, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've just separated them so my new axie can heal a nibble she got on her leg, and lance seems to hate being confined to one half of the tank.

Another question!

Has anyone ever had any problems with being allowed to keep them in their apartment and/or dorm?
My mum brought up the point of 'what are you going to do with it when you move?'
She was also asking what I'd do if I went overseas (I know what I'd do though)

Keep an eye on ebay for a chiller. I see loads of chillers available in NSW going cheap. Just a thought.
I dont think fish tanks are a problem in rental properties but you would have to check that when you sign a lease...stay home it is cheaper

Jossie how cool is my avatar:D:D:D. love your work

Obviously XD
It's why I'm still at home.
25$ a week for my multi ticket and 4 hours a day of transit is still cheaper than moving away XD

so true. I would love to still live at home with my mummy

has anyone tried the ice bottle method of keeping the tank cool?

It worked GREAT for my 10 gallon but not so much in the 4ft :sad: I just couldn't freeze enough bottles fast enough to keep it cool.

ARGH I would LOVE to still live at home. Free food and I could have what I wanted and didn't have to pay for it. No electricity, gas or water bills or rent! Having to pay for it yourself with your own money really sucks all the fun out of a shopping spree :(

I live with my mum and brother still. I'm 21 in november so I will start to think about it more then.

I was just in NSW, wollongong infact and why on earth do you think you would need a chiller now? its so dang cold over there. you have all winter!

I will be obtaining a chiller before winter is out, for the summer months.

Hehe it is pretty cool here at the moment (and very wet).
I'm not thinking about moving at the moment, but I know they can live a long time if you're good to them :3

It works... but its a little dodgy... cools the water really quick but that can swing too much and stress your axi

plus its a pain if you work

I tried the frozen bottles and it was ok but the temp wasnt stable like boo said, it moves around too much. I found putting my filter(canister one) in a esky, fill it with ice was better and it lasted longer. The best was is to get a chiller.....life is so much easier with one...

Hmmmn. I was wondering about that too.
I'm pretty much a full time uni student so summer is going to get a little tricky if I have one then.
I'm going to try asking my mum if I can buy a tank again- I've seen a nice looking 60 cm one on ebay for $50, which I'm pretty sure doesn't leak because the actually photographed it with water in it!
Apparently our compost is full of worms at the moment- Mum was joking that if we wanted to go fishing we'd catch loads of fish (I also thought this was a good time to mention axies ate them too- which she just kind of went 'really' and dropped the conversation)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back