Starting Up Questions

Ah, Hang on back.
I blame this forum for picking up things like that XD

Of course I'm lazy!
I'm a university student- we're known for our laziness (and our lack of money)
I'm only a miser when it comes to myself- I'm happy to spend money on animals and such, but I've needed a new pair of shoes for a while now.

as you're starting from scratch, plan big if you can, you'll be glad you did, you will want more axies in the months and years to come.

the basic glass tanks are always the go, and always the cheapest. I saw a 3ftx1ft tank with a stand brand new in my local aquarist just today for $229. I was very tempted, it also gives you more choice when it comes to filters and the like. most ones like you mentioned come with a trickle filter built in, they are fine, but they can sometimes create too much water movement for axies, I would know, I use a 2ft/95L "aquapro" tank to home my monsters, my tank is also a "bowfront" so it has no corners on the front, my axie seems to appreciate that when she follows the glass, it tricks her into thinking there is more room than there really is :)

as for purchasing a tank, go for display models, if there is a slight scratch on the stand or whatever, ask if they will knock abit of the price.

I did this for my aquapro, I got $100 off for some scuffing on the side of the stand. so it cost me only $300.

as you're starting from scratch, plan big if you can, you'll be glad you did, you will want more axies in the months and years to come.

the basic glass tanks are always the go, and always the cheapest. I saw a 3ftx1ft tank with a stand brand new in my local aquarist just today for $229.

I did this for my aquapro, I got $100 off for some scuffing on the side of the stand. so it cost me only $300.
HEY JOSSIE

I agree with iChris... plan big!!! I didn't and now I am regretting it... but my new custom tank will be done in a few weeks :D:D:D

As for the tank river reef and reptile at Hornsby does cheap tanks (3 foot for $99) as you probably already know... unfortunately I had to chose between bringing home a new tank and bringing home my sister last weekend... she won narrowly :wacko:

Lucky me though I don't have to buy a stand as I have a very sturdy set of drawers to sit my new tank on :happy:

If your still looking for a bigger tank I'll sell you my old one cheap, once my new one comes... its 50x25x30cm should keep a single axi for a while...especially if you get a juvi.

Oh also when I got to fantasea aquariums (where I'm getting my tank) I'll let you know the quality of their axi's if they have any

D:
You two are not making it easy for me to resist getting a large tank XD
There are a couple of 2ft ones going around here (There's a 3ft one going for 60$ on near me, but I simply don't have anything it would fit on, due to it's width)
hmmmmmm maybe I should go to hornsby :p
Thanks for the offer though Boo

I've been told that I'm only allowed to 'start with one axolotl', so buying a smaller tank is one way of limiting myself (I'd love for mine to have some company).
Originally my little brother and I were 'going to go halves' on everything. However this meant that I would do all the research, arrange everything, and look after it, while he chose it and it lived it his room (somehow that doesn't seem like a good deal to me, especially because I've never owned one before!)

By the way Chris, your new girl is lovely!

Ditch that deal, sounds utterly unfair.

Believe me you'll want your axi to live in your room, so you can watch its funny antics all the time :D

That deal got ditched as soon as I found that out.
I do not care if I eventually end up cleaning two tanks.

Even though the bedroom of a sixteen year old is in some ways a good place for an axie (IT'S ALWAYS DARK!)

Good idea :D

Hmmm that is true, dark is good for axi's

But I think a 16 year old boy is slightly too immature to look after an axi properly. These little babies need some serious maintenance

Another few questions.

Has anyone heard of people cycling tanks with cherry shrimp instead of fish?

Does anyone know how much the liquid test kits usually cost?

(also been flat out told no to getting an axie [and a new tank]. I guess it'll have to wait until my life is 'more organized')

also been flat out told no to getting an axie and a new tank.

I am so sorry to hear that, and you mentioned no to getting another tank, are you implying you already have tanks? haha

my mum was against the idea of my getting a bigger axie tank, (my current 95L bowfront) it's in my room and now she makes excuses to come into my room to watch my monsters.

I plan on getting another tank to go next to my axie tank too now. she won't be pleased.

I have a master test kit, it was bout $70 from memory and includes kits to test everything, and the test tubes too.

I have never herd of people using shrimp to cycle a tank before.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear that, and you mentioned no to getting another tank, are you implying you already have tanks? haha

I only have a 25L tank already, but I'm going to transfer my betta to that tank so he can have some more room (hopefully he'll also perk up a bit- he's a bit unhappy at the moment).

I thought they were, I saw one for $50 in a petstore the other day, but I've only seen one other which was $72 so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

I'm still recovering from 5 months of renovations to my room, with most of my possessions in other rooms of the house, and no where to actually put a tank. I might have more luck in a couple of weeks because I'll be on break from uni.

I hadn't either- I wonder if it's possible.

I keep a betta in my old axie tank, a 50L one. along with about 14 white cloud minnows, it's also heavily planted but that tank is out in the living room.

I need a reno of my room, but my walls are covered with various posters and you can't see much paint so there is no point painting the walls. I do want to get my plasma mounted on the wall, and doing this would free up alot of space for more tanks!

These little babies need some serious maintenance

I think they are SUPER easy to look after, the easiest pets I've ever had! Bit of a water change and shuffle the tank every week and a half, worm every other day, and the occasional poop-scoopage.

I think as long as you have the right information and set up to begin with, axolotls are very simple to care for. Thats where we come in, educating the masses ^_^

It seems that the majority of times things go wrong are either unlucky turns of events (which are no fault of the owner) or unsuitable environment/conditions caused by lack of care or poor advice to begin with.

I need a reno of my room, but my walls are covered with various posters and you can't see much paint so there is no point painting the walls. I do want to get my plasma mounted on the wall, and doing this would free up alot of space for more tanks!

I've never had too many on my walls, so the whole room has been repainted because we also ripped out a wardrobe that was in it, along with the skirting boards and carpet.
Hopefully once I finish repairing my dresser I'll be able to get a tank because it will be able to sit on top!

I think as long as you have the right information and set up to begin with, axolotls are very simple to care for. Thats where we come in, educating the masses ^_^

Well said Mewsie.
I think my main problem is going to be more to do with the fact that it gets very hot here than anything else.

I think my main problem is going to be more to do with the fact that it gets very hot here than anything else.

Yeah, blimey, at least I don't have that to worry about in Glasgow, lol! Beans on Toast for a couple of months to save for a chiller?!

Hey Mew, I didn't mean to imply that axi's are hard to look after but I think that a 16 year old boy is not the best parent (not judging 16 year old boys... plz don't shoot me). I know from my own experience that particularly in the aussie summer axi's need a lot of planning to keep them cool (which is why I'm getting a chiller this year...it will make my life SOOOO easy )

I think they are the kind of pet that needs maturity... like if you were to get one for your child you just know your going to be the one looking after it.

Anyways as for the test kits mine cost me a bomb but I did it the stupid way (buying separate kits for every chemical)... order one from an online store like Guppy's aquarium... I think from memory the master kits are about $45 plus postage... not too bad when shops will charge you $25+ for a single test kit

Saw a gorgeous gray/brownish one today when we went to pick up dog food, or well the nose of one. It refused to come out of its hiding spot in the heavily planted tank. However its melanoid neighbor came over to see what I was doing looking at the tank next to it (They're so adorable).

I keep a betta in my old axie tank, a 50L one. along with about 14 white cloud minnows, it's also heavily planted but that tank is out in the living room.

Have you got a heater in there?
I've set up my tank for my little guy (It's uncycled but I think he'll be ok- he's survived living with me for almost a year with me stupidly killing all the bacteria in his tank roughly weekly -insertbangingofheadagainstwallhere-) and it's currently reading about 13C.
No wonder he hasn't been happy in his bowl lately!
:/ I'm going to buy a heater for the new tank tomorrow, or unless a filter might provide enough heat to keep him warm.

Yeah, blimey, at least I don't have that to worry about in Glasgow, lol! Beans on Toast for a couple of months to save for a chiller?!

Probably!
Inevitably I'll end up freaking out and running around with ice in containers instead.
Why must things be so expensive?!

not too bad when shops will charge you $25+ for a single test kit

I know right!?
I was looking at them the other day and I decided I'm just going to get the master kit because buying all the separate ones would cost more than it!

Before some of you get freaked out about my poor unhappy betta- I've been misreading my thermometer (it's new- give me a break).
It's 19C in his tank (it went up a degree).
I'm still getting him a heater, he still looks very unhappy (I hope he starts to perk up- I've only had him a year).

jossie, I keep my 50L tank heated. the heater is set to 22 so slightly on the cooler side of a tropical tank, but they can be kept in unheated tanks. off topic here, but try adding some fast growing plants and a light. you should see him perk up abit. they are naturally slow moving because the flowing fins prevent them from moving about fast. fyi, bettas always look unhappy. I guess it's the fins.

have you started looking for a tank? no harm in starting early, it gives you time to prepare, especially if it's a used tank as they often need cleaning and sanitizing. mind you there are often some fantastic ones out there going for cheap.

just throughly check the condition of the seals, glass and the cross beam at the top before buying it, avoid ones that are obviously cracked, and be sure the cross beam is secure if the tank is fitted with one. run your fingers over the sillicone on the inside of the tank and check to see that it's not broken or peeling away.

also, ask what side of the tank was used as the front, so you can make this side the at the back when you set it up, I find that the back panel of used tanks tends to have less scratches than the side used for the front by the previous owner, due to the fact that the back was probably never exposed to anything other than a wall.

Thankyou for the tank tips Chris, I continually forgot to ask what to look for in a second hand tank.
Great tips about the front!
What's a cross beam?

I've stopped looking because I've been told I'm not allowed to buy one.
I'd rather not test my mum's patience, although she has told my how good she thinks my betta tank looks now. I think I'll focus on fixing my dresser (my mission for the weekend) and getting my possessions out of the living room.

When I do, I think I might look for a 3 ft one- I'd love to be able to keep two together.
Although this may present problems when I eventually move out.
I missed out on a 2ft one going for $10 because I didn't feel like crossing Mum on the matter.
She's usually right (however irritating this may be), and I need to buy some other things before buying a tank (like new shoes. and glasses)
There also seems to be an absurd amount of 4ft ones about at the moment (one of my friends offered to sell me his).

the cross beam is the piece of glass that runs from the front of the tank to the back, at the top, it helps hold the back and front panels in on a longer tank, it also supports the lids.

I'm currently saving for another tattoo, so I'm holding off getting another tank for now. I also need to buy a chiller before summer comes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back