Recent shipment into Ireland and in need of identification

declanmacgabhan

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Declan
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help identify a small froglet that recently arrived into Ireland from Singapore?

The frog is now approximately 18mm total length and is extremely fast.

Thank you,

Declan

Attachments

• SANY3148 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    SANY3148 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 378
  • unknown froglet1 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    unknown froglet1 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 291
  • overhead shot1 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    overhead shot1 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 293
Not certain but it looks like an African Ranid that was considered part of the genus Pyxicephalus - not sure if it still is.

Hi John,

That was my first thought as the frog has the same ridges on the back as a pyxie but the snout is long and I thought rocket frog, or edible? I have never seen three small frogs eat so much in a week, 3 boxes of size 1 crickets! I decided to save them as they were not ordered and would have ended up being fed to oscars or flowerhorns.

Dec

Looks to me like Fejervarya (Rana) limnocharis, also known as the field frog.

I was going to say Fejervarya limnocharis too. They’re very common throughout Malaysia/Indonesia so a likely candidate for a shipment from Singapore. There’s a photo of an adult in one of my old threads: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/24791/35881.html?1115882952

The markings are pretty variable.

They move like they’re on amphetamines with rockets strapped to their butts – good luck!

Hi, I am getting a fair few responses here and through my email that the likely candidate is Fejervarya cancrivora which is great. I am at a loss as to why these would be shipped as xenopus? but you never can tell. Has anyone ideas on the ideal temperature to keep these frogs at? I am currently keeping them at 24 degrees and they are eating fine.

Certainly looks like Fejervarya cancrivora - especially the markings on the lower jaw.

South-east Asia is hot. 24C is probably not far off the temperature they'd experience during nocturnal activity. Day temps will reach low to mid 30's regularly, sometimes higher. I'm no expert but you should be aiming for warm and humid with a dip to ~20C at night. In the wild fejervarya are quite aquatic - never more than a quick hop from a ditch or pool, they make that wonderful plopping sound as you walk along road sides.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back