new to newt/sal world questions

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
So today I got 5 little fire bellies (chinese), and I'm keeping them in a 10 gallon tank at the time. But talking to my friend just at first, he said for 5 newts, I need at least a 20 or so gallon tank. So are they gonna be fine in the 10, or should i upgrade, I do think they are a bit cramped either way tho.

Also, regardless of tank size, any tips on setup of the tank? Do I need a piece of plexy glass separating the land area and the water? Right now I have smooth gravel all along the bottom and a nice sized rock in at one side, and also some of the gravel next to the rock is raised above water level. I'm definitely going to get some plants and add more decorations and places for the newts to hang out, any tips on those? But my main question is whether or not I need to separate the land and water with the glass.

Other than my current newts, I do want to get more newts or sals in the future. What other speices are there that are available besides the firebellies and the tiger sal?

thanks in advance, sorry for so many questions.

thanks, I'll look into those. I'll definitely get a bigger tank in a couple week, and also getting some plants and other stuff, any more suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated.

those are really interesting and cool btw, defintiely got some ideas now

It looks like it may be a type of Cryptocoryne plant, possibly wendtii? If it is, they need some type of substrate to be planted into as it is a rooted plant. I'm not sure about the moss.

unless that person comes back to answer the question - best guess is anacharis or bacopa - leaning towards bacopa. It is some sort of stem plant.... there are several species that can be cut and then planted in substrate where it will take root.

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=FAP/CTGY/BP

java moss is really popular, but there are some that are really difficult to ID unless you use a microscope.

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=FAP/CTGY/AP

thx for the help, be lookin into those plants

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back