10 days in fridge-still floaty

Sarah Jane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been getting some helpful responses from you guys about our Axie, Bobothy. Another question now - he's been fridged for 10 days because of very bad floating. Just transferred him back to his tank, and he is still tail floating. He's wedging in places for a bit, or hooking onto plants, then waddling around, but he is diagonal in the water except when swimming.

On his first day of fridging he passed a small shell and a lot of poop. Poop got less and less, and for about 5 days there's been nothing. There was some side to side rolling at first, but that went.

The floating is not as bad as it was, but I thought 10 days was getting too much when he seemed flat in the fridge and had stopped pooping. Should he go back in the fridge for a few more days ? I've seen him take a gulp of air, but otherwise he does not seem distressed. Gills, tail and skin good. I know he CAN be in the fridge longer, but diagnostically surely he should be ok now ?

His tank parameters are all spot on (nitrates had been up). I've added some plants and removed ~90% of the very fine sand that I was using as a substrate, following members' advice.

This (terrible) pic is him now when he is not wedging or swimming.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 65777104_519257258834800_9015379432273084416_n.jpg
    65777104_519257258834800_9015379432273084416_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Has he taken any food since being out of the fridge? It may just be gas now since he's passed the poop, you can give him a couple of days in the tank and if it hasn't improved fridge him for a lil bit more.

Keep offering food, it's normal to refuse food while in the fridge so he may need some time until he wants to eat. Goodluck, let me know how he goes :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back