100% water change?

jennag446

Reaction score
Country
United States
i went on vacation for a week and had people watching my axie. i told them how to feed him, as well as clean the tank with the turkey baster. well, i got back, and they did not clean the tank. the water is cloudy, there is also debris and poop floating around. i’ve tried doing 50% water changes and spot cleaning the best i can for the past few days but it just isn’t getting everything that it should be. is it possible for me to change all of the water?

depending on the filtration you can use the filter to remove the waste, on a canister you use the inlet as a vacuum cleaner, on an internal filter you remove the internal sponges to allow full flow then put a filter sock over the outlet to catch the debris, even just cleaning the filter media (mainly sponge and any filter floss) will be enough to remove a lot of the debris.
also you can get tank vacuums that use the air pump to remove waste.
to do a full tank clean remove any ornaments etc.. and place in a bucket/container with old tank water, remove axolotl and place in tub with clean dechlorinated water, place filter in a container with old tank water, empty syphon water out, clean with bicarbonate of soda/white vinegar/hydrogen peroxide, flush tank out and refill with water adding required amount of dechlorinater and any salts/minerals, then leave for a few hours to make sure all the water is dechlorinated, place ornaments in tank then fit filter (remember to clean filter media in old tank water before refit) and once everything is on and working put axolotl back in, may be worthwhile using bottled bacteria to make up for any lost.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back