125litre tank - how many axolotls?

Liz Roome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have 2 adults currently in a 125litre tank, they had babies, and if really wanted to keep 2. I will need to divide the tank, but would I be able to have 4 axolotls in this size tank? The base is about 85cm by 37cm. I have it full as my axies love to swim up and down a lot.

Can I keep 2 babies and have them all in the one tank? (When they are the same size)

I would have 3 Maximum. Even with 3 I think it may be crowded.

I have a 125L, I had 3 in there (until one got sick and died :(). 4 is a little overcrowded.

Thanks for the replies.
Now I need to choose between the babies, I had wanted to keep an albino and one of the grey ones, but I think I'll keep grey, since dad is wild type and mum is albino but she has iridophores, or however it is spelt, the baby albino I was going to keep wasn't.

For a 190 tank, you think you could keep 4? My friend has a trigon that I gave him, and I am giving him some of my babies, but I don't want to give more than can be accommodated.

Also on dividers for tanks, any suggestions on makes or the best sort? I can keep baby separate in another tank for a while longer but it's smaller and I worry about the temp of it. When I have sold the other babies currently in breeding nets in my adult tank, I want to put him into there ideally. Suggestions very welcome. Thanks

It's easier to tell how many to keep by giving dimensions. If you had multiple levels you could hold more. I'll be having 4 in a 150 but it's 3ftx 1(.5?)ft and have a multiple leveled 3D background with hides so I maximized my space. I'm sure 190 could hold 4 maybe 5?

Dividers should be some form of acrylic. Metal will rust and other plastics may leach chemicals.

This is the advice I got from the breeder I got my axies from:
"The recommended minimum size is 80cm x 35cm for one or two axolotls, 100cm x 40cm for four animals, 120cm x 50cm for six and so on.
Several problems may occur if an aquarium is overpopulated; fights due to lack of space (may lead to loss of limbs, fungus on wounds, even death), water pollution happens faster, aquarium's eco balance is very fragile and toxic amount of ammonia may appear quickly.
A minimum of 30cm of water is necessary."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back