Illness/Sickness: 2 week baby axolotls - sick

IluvLotls

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have approx 160 x 2 week old babies. Most of them are doing well, but there are quite a few floating at the top either upside down, on their side and lots of them have little bubbles inside them. Here are a few details :

1. They are being housed in a very large storage container
2. There is a sponge filter and air pump to create oxygenation in the water
3. We are using the water from the adults tank to do water changes every 2nd day - had water tested and it was OK.
4. Feeding them twice a day on either microworms and instant baby brine shrimp. Tried cutting up blood worms but theyre not really taking to it yet.
5. Only about 4 have died in total and they are almost 3 weeks old.
6. I have added some fresh plants to the water to help with oxygen

So what am I doing wrong ? This is a first for me with the axolotl breeding. I just want to know why alot of them look sick. :(:confused::confused::confused: Happy to share some photos if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help

Here is a pic of one of them...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408694648287.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408694648287.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 205
Axies that young can be stressed by current from a filter, thats why most of us use smaller tubs with 100% daily water changes. By using water from the adults' tank you are just transferring waste - I would recommend fresh dechlorinated water instead.

Floating usually resolves itself, but if it persists I would consider culling them - its not worth the time and effort to try and save axies who probably won't thrive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back