3.5 week old hatchlings

LoriML

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lori
How many days could 3 1/2 week old hatchlings go with cut up black worms and no water change? If I were to travel and feed worms and water change on Friday, then again on Monday when I returned, would they be ok Saturday and Sunday? I'm not 100% committed to going but would like to surprise my dad for his bday. Also I'm very pregnant and wont be able to travel much after next month. I considered bringing them, but it's an 8 hour trip.
So far with daily water changes, the few times I've given them worms with BBS, theres always alive worms left the next day, (I generally feed at night then water changes the next day), so I expect that they'd have worms to much after a few days...

you can refrigerate them with the largest bucket of purify water you can fit in your fridge, That will slow down their appetite and prevent ammonia to spike. That should save them a few days with little amount of food .

Have you actually done this (refrigerate hatchlings that young)? I thought I had read that they were more sensitive to cold.

I'm hoping the experienced breeders will correct me if I am wrong, but I think if they are all able to eat blackworms, and they are in a large volume of water, they should be fine for a weekend.

I wouldn't put them in the fridge. Some people do raise their babies in cold temperatures, but I think the temperature change would be pretty stressful. I think a big tub with lots of plants would be enough. The plants will both keep the water a bit better and offer cover for the babies when they get hungry and start nipping at each other. If you can add for example some decoration or rocks from an established tank they will have some bacteria on them to help keep the water quality better too. The main thing I'd be worried about is them getting hungry and attacking each other, so I'd either try to get someone to feed them once while you're away or try to find something that will stay alive in there for them to feed on.

Great thank you for the tips all. Their parents are in a 55 gallon so theres rocks and plants I could "borrow" from there to add to the babies. They're in plastic tubs now but I'll find bigger ones then to add to the water volume and allow room for the decorations for the weekend. The blackworms really seem to be troopers, even cut up the seem to live forever, so I would expect them to keep for a couple days. I have a friend who may be able to come drop in more worms if needed, but I don't want anyone else to mess with water changes without experience. Don't want babies down the sink drain! :p
Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back