3 weeks later laying MORE EGGS?????

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently rearing about 200 larvae, they are between 10-15 days since hatching. Lo and behold LIly is laying more eggs....Can they possibly be fertile, and do I need to separate these two. I am shocked to find her laying again. So far there are about 20 and she is still going! Not even sure what to do at this point. I am spending hours everyday on the ones we already have between feeding and cleaning and daphnia and microworms. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Rhandi

They probably are fertile and just waiting to hatch. ;) You do have options though if you do not feel like raising them!

You can leave them in the tank and the axies will eat them.

You can always sell the eggs!

If you want to ensure that you do not get more eggs anytime soon then separating your critters would be a good idea. Axies get into the breeding mood when the seasons change. This means the change in sunlight and temperatures greatly affects breeding behavior. As you know the day are getting longer! You can put a divider in your tank if it is large enough. I have found that this works good. Beware though when or if you decide to take it out.... because it will be a change and I usually see breeding behavior for a day or two after removing the divider. :happy:

Yeah, that tends to happen if you keep the male in with the female. Many species have a "produce as much as possible" mentality which probably comes from the very low percentage of larvae that make it to adult stage in the wild. I had to separate mine quickly as possible because I was already seeing courtship behavior again a few days later. I would guess the female is a probably still not up to par from having eggs so recently, so maybe less will be viable. As for the eggs, I would post an ad in the FS: USA section and get rid of all/most the new ones. I would not envy having 2 batches each with 200 or more. I suppose you could cull them as well, but my heart is too soft to be able to do it myself.

Separate the two by either putting Lo in another tank or separating the tank with a divider that will allow good water exchange, but very limited contact between the axies. That's my two cents.

edit: I'm really good at posting at the same time as others ^_^

They probably are fertile and just waiting to hatch. ;)

I was afraid of that :nono: My husband has been very patient with all the others, Even helping with the feeding and daphnia cultures. But I think he will draw the line with this batch. I can't leave them to be eaten, sooooo I guess I will be shipping out some eggs.......

If you want to ensure that you do not get more eggs anytime soon then separating your critters would be a good idea.

I only have two 10 gallon tanks left:confused: And one of them I am using to keep the water cycled for the larvae water changes. Guess I better get a bigger tank, somewhere. (My sister has a 55 gal she isn't using) But I already have two 55 gal tanks full of fish.:eek:

Attachments

• Lily 1.jpg
    Lily 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Lily 2.jpg
    Lily 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Lily 3.jpg
    Lily 3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 196
One more won't hurt then eh!? lol
I know it is kind of a hassle, but it will be better for you in the long run if you don't have to worry about sooo may eggs all the time. :eek:

What a pretty momma! What color is the father?

And I don't think you will have any problems shipping the eggs out. They go so fast on this site! The eggs are easier to ship and package than juvies too.

What a pretty momma! What color is the father?

The daddy (Milo) Is exactly same as the Mommy (Lilly). He's just a bit bigger than her. Here's his picture.

And I don't think you will have any problems shipping the eggs out. They go so fast on this site! The eggs are easier to ship and package than juvies too.[/QUOTE]

I haven't shipped before so any advice on packaging would be great. I should probably find someone to ship them too first though:eek:

Attachments

• Milo.jpg
    Milo.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 155
Awww Milo is very pretty too. I also have a golden, but he is almost white and has very pale yellow spots.

I haven't personally shipped any eggs. I did just read about someone having success shipping this way: put eggs and water in plastic pop bottle or something similar and make sure the lid is on tight. Wrap in bubble wrap and place in a box.

I'm thinking that if you fill the bottle up to the top with the water, it will reduce sloshing and jostling of the eggs. The bubble wrap will be extra padding and insulation if they are shipped anywhere below 40 degrees.

Sounds like a good way to me, and i how I would do it. :D

What's one more tank? Who needs a sofa! Heck, if I could convince my other half, I'd get rid of all the furniture, line the walls with tanks, and put a pair of swivel chairs in the center of the room.

PS: Grace, you have no idea how much I giggled when I read "pop bottle". I don't make it back home to Michigan much, but it's the little bits of it I see that make me miss it! I'm (reluctantly) a 'soda' person now. I still slip occasionally and call it pop, and people give me 'the look'. You know, the one that says "You're not from around here."

Haha! Kaysie I guess it never came to my mind that most people call it soda!!! I forget about that all the time! Hahaha :D
I guess us Michiganders are just special hehe. Wouldn't have it any other way.

You should come visit Michigan again, it is wonderful! We will turn you back into a 'pop' person. I would wait till summer though hehe.

I lurk here a lot, but this conversation has drawn me out of the darkness. I'm from Michigan too and my girlfriend is from Ohio. We have the whole Soda vs. pop fight all the time :D Looks like there's a lot of Michiganders here ;)

I agree that separating your axies is the best thing to do if you don't want any more eggs. a undergravel filter plate would work a treat while still allowing water to circulate, but not the best look though.

Soda vs. pop

is that like coke or something? or better yet, calling the kettle a teapot?

Grace, I was there for Christmas, and I'll probably come visit in May. My folks live in Barry Co. so I try to make it up whenever I can, usually twice a year or so. Luckily where I am now, it's only an 8 hour drive. My last duty station was 14 hours! And if I go out west...

iChris, they call it all 'coke' down south. "Can I have a yellow coke?"

Wow 14 hours is a long ways Kaysie! I guess you aren't too far now though!
I am originally from Emmet Co. and I'm in G-rap now for grad school. only 3 hours :D but still in Michigan. Wooot woot.

I never understood the whole calling everything "Coke" down south.... that is just plain craziness. A yellow coke? Haha :eek:

Mountain dew, it's yellow coke.

If you want to get together when I get up there, I know a couple awesome spots to go herping around Lansing.

That would be a blast. Yeah, let me know when you come up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back