30 Gallon Planted tank (15+ plant species) 3 axolotls

Kylehubble

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kyle_Hubble
Hey there everyone, this is my first post on Caudata forums, so sorry in advance if I made any mistakes with posting. I just wanted to share my set up of my 30 gallon planted tank with you guys, and I was interested in your comments / concerns.

First off, this tank took some work. It features two decently sized driftwood pieces, both with hollowed out parts that my axolotls love to hide in when the light is on. These driftwood pieces have java fern and various anubias planted within them. This tank is only 3 weeks old to add, in case you were wondering about growth issues. It was also cycled for two weeks before axolotls were added, I put in 20 minnow feeders to start a nitrogen cycle as well as a few zebra snails.

The substrate I used was play sand, which seems odd for a planted tank, however it is treated with good lighting (4-6 hours a day) and weekly liquid fertilizer (amphibian, newt and reptile safe). I could have gone out of my way at this point to buy planting sand, but it just worked out the way it did. The plants all have been growing out roots, and most have new shoots and leaves.

My tank is filtered with two NatGeo 30 gallon tank rated underwater filters. I have plans of eventually getting a canister but these two filters pump out some decent flow and I only really have to do a water change it seems 20% a week, as its usually crystal clear.

My room that I keep the tank in is fairly cold and the tank temperature stays around 65-69 degrees, which from what I've read is on point. The axolotls seem fairly active in this temperature and like to move around, but also do their fair share of hiding too. My leucistic (not yet gendered) seems to like being out all the time, while my Het Copper Wild type (not yet gendered) seem to enjoy hiding in the shade behind the rotala indica bushes by the driftwood. My lighting fixture produces little heat however equals out to about 2 watts per gallon of water; I keep it on about 4-6 hours a day.

I purchased these axolotls from a recent reptile show in Hamburg, and the Het Copper Wild type have much smaller gills then my leucistic. Not sure what that could entail health-wise, however I seem to understand its just genetics. They all generally come up for air every couple minutes, and flap their gills every 10-15 seconds when I view them with the light on. That's just a general observation so it may differ from time to time. Anyways, Ill include pictures of my tank, please give comments and opinions and thanks for reading!

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,549
  • photo4 (1).jpg
    photo4 (1).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,087
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • photo1 (1).jpg
    photo1 (1).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,333
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,306
  • photo2 (1).jpg
    photo2 (1).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 7,987
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,128
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 2,132
This is a very nice looking setup. Finally an actually natural looking tank for axolotls. Can't wait for the plants to grow in!

This is a very nice looking setup. Finally an actually natural looking tank for axolotls. Can't wait for the plants to grow in!

Thanks buddy much appreciated!

Your tank looks great! Just be sure to closely monitor the water since it has been freshly setup.

Very nice tank. :)
Not often people plant their axie tanks. Do yours rip up plants at all?

Actually not at all! They seem to love the plants and they'll whip right through them and they never uproot, probably because the sand is heavy and grounds them well

I'm thinking of getting one a tank of a similar size eventually.
Will that be yours permanent home?
How big are they now? ( want some scale sorta ratio )

They're about half inch longer then my iphone hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very beautiful tank! I love it.

Very pretty setup :) Would you mind listing the plant species that you've used, and ones that have thrived the most?
The gills on the wildtype look like they've had to regenerate, give it time and they'll probably grow back nice and frilly. And the gill flapping and going up for air is totally normal healthy behaviour :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back