55 gallon tank for axies?

purplemuffin

Reaction score
Country
United States
So...I have two empty 55 gallon tanks. I'm very interested in axolotls and have been researching them for a few years(mainly waiting to move to a house with good air conditioning, living in Texas. Now we have one that has proven itself to survive the summer and stay cool, woohoo!!)

I know I'd like to start with one axolotl, but with this big empty 55 gallon tank.. I'd love to have a small axolotl group~ :)

I'm curious about how to set this up--or how you would go about doing it. How many would you stock in a 55 gallon that is full of hiding places and caves throughout, and what strength filter would you use for what stocking level etc?

Would love some opinions! Thanks! :)

You don't really have to have a filter for axies, as they don't like currents. In a 55 gallon, the water only needs to be halfway up. It depends on how long it is. I have a 48" long 55 gallon, and the general rule is 2 feet for the first axie plus one 1 foot for every other. But if there's lots of space, I wouldn't see any problem with 4 axies being in it. If they're small axies (some stop growing at 7-9 inches), maybe 5. But I would only do that if they're small. They're so cute that I would want 50 of them, but that'd be a bit hard to pull off.

It's kind of a relief though to only have to have it half full. Makes my water changes so much easier, considering I do it by the 2 gallon bucket full.

I have 5 adults in each of my 55's with no filter but tons of plants.

Cool! Thanks for the information!

Now, I have another question. Has anyone found it to be true that the wildtypes are more aggressive than the morphs, and that they are actually especially aggressive towards them? I read that on a care site, and it made me nervous. If I were to get a community tank I would want plenty of colors and I love the greenish looking wilds. But I hope I don't end up with a meanie! I have plenty of extra tanks and tubs though to separate one if I need to. :)

About the filter: But without the filter to house the good bacteria, how would I cycle the water? I'm used to baffling filters for animals who like still water (I keep bettas) but if it's really that unnecessary than I guess I'll go without(lol, makes it cheaper anyway!)

Oh, and one more thing!

I have heard that young axolotls are cannibalistic. That's fine, I can keep them separated until they are older. What age/size do they end up being calmer around each other? Should I slowly introduce them by having their individual tanks side by side so they see one another when they are small and later by placing dividers in the large tank when they are big enough and get them used to being in the same water but unable to get to each other? I wouldn't want to put axolotls who are used to being alone suddenly together and have them attack one another! I wouldn't want to cause an ammonia spike by introducing all of them at once, but if there are only two or so introduced at first, could the aggression level be higher? Is it safe to put 3 in the 55 to start with when they are large enough to not hurt each other?

I also just realized if I had an extremely planted tank I could do a 'quiet' cycle right? That is so strange to think about, I've never done it. I'd need to buy a lot of plants!

I hear lots of horror stories about these guys, but if I'm over complicating things please tell me! :) I just don't want to see too many nipped toes or gills! Want to do this right.

Last edited:
I cycled my tank without a filter but with lots of plants and water changes. You don't need a filter. I've never noticed wild types to be that much different, so I wouldn't worry. Axolotls tend to ignore their tankmates. As for age, I'm not quite sure. My axolotls were 7 months old when I started housing them together, as they were reaching adult size. Never had an accident. They won't be too bothered by a change in tanks and tankmates. Mine certainly weren't. Dividers are fine, or separate tanks. However you want. They don't need to be next to each other, though it's sweet of you to think of it for them. They probably wouldn't be able to see into the other tank anyway. It seems really complicated at first, but I can assure you that axolotls are pretty easy. Putting three together when they come of age sounds like a fine idea, as long as you watch them for the first couple of weeks.

I really meant the being next to each other to get used to the sight of others. See, with bettas, males who never see another betta go into CRAZY KILLER MODE when they see one, but a male who is housed and able to see other bettas all the time gets a little more relaxed and chilled out. That's why when breeding them you need to have the female in a small divided area(like a cup inside the tank) for a few days so they stop freaking out and trying to kill each other, LOL! But I guess axies are not so aggressive, so that's cool.

Okay, so cycling with plants it is then.. I can handle that. Do axolotls hate bright lights(aka, should I get low light plants, or can I shoot for plants that require brighter lighting)

Thanks so much for the help! :) I'm soooo excited to get my axolotls! Our house stays a constant 70 degrees (68 at night) in summer or winter. I have 2 spare heavy-duty computer fans, I figured I could try the one facing down, one facing up method of getting air circulation to cool the tank down further if needed.

Definitely get low light plants. Axies don't like light. As for the temperature, my tank stays at a consisted 70 and they're as happy as clams.

Alright! :) I have a bunch of java ferns producing new baby plants right now and I can get a bunch more low light plants as well! Thanks again for the help! :) Now it's just a matter of waiting and getting everything set up!

I just realized, instead of having 4 unique tanks that need to be cycled and water changed and cleaned as the axolotls grow...

I could just start out by dividing the 55 gallon already cycled couldn't I?! They'd all stay in the same tank for life, and eventually when they are big enough I can release them together! :D That's just one cycle to worry about, and only one water change instead of 4. Interesting, interesting!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back