Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

6 gallon ok for a FBT?

FroggoChicken

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a question involving Fire Belly Tosds. So I have a 6 gallon tank that is currently empty and I was wondering if it’s pissible to keep a FBT in it. I was thinking of sloping some black sand/gravel to make 2/3 land and 1/3 water. I would put some anubias plants and a moss ball at the bottom as well as some floating duckweed or frogweed. I have a nice piece of mopani driftwood that I would submerge part way into the water and some java moss that I would put along the “shore” into the water. The water would be filtered with a sponge filter. On land I would do ecoearth/coco fiber planted with some philodendron and maybe some ferns or palms, plus a hiding cave. Im pretty sure they don’t need a heat source and it would always be about 70-75 F* in the tank, and I would have the typical fluorescent lighting if that sounds ok. I have another frog and we
always go to the pet store weekly for crickets or mealworms, plus I already have calcium powder. I already have all of the supplies needed for this setup, I would just need to get the toad(s)! Is this setup ok for 1 (or maybe 2???) fire belly toad? Please let me know!

FroggoChicken

Reaction score
I’d really appreciate a reply as I’ve seen so much conflicting information on the Internet. Anyone? I’m happy to have any advice!

FroggoChicken

Reaction score
As a new member I am highly disappointed that despite the fact that my thread has been seen by others, there are still no replies. I joined this whole forum to ask this one specific question I have and it has gotten no attention, even though I bumped it up and am now doing so again. I would really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer the question and help me out. Thanks.

Griffin8891

Reaction score
Just because someone reads your question doesn't mean they're obligated to answer. If someone isn't confident in addressing your question, it is better leave it and wait for someone else to give a better answer.

That being said, I have cared for firebellies in the past. I'd say what you're describing sounds fine for one individual. I would not put two or more in a 6 gal though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!