6 inch and 9 inch in same tank?

Hollystark

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 9 inch, 2.5 year old axolotl, and I've just gotten a second one. S/he is a little over 6 inches. Do y'all think that's too much of a size difference to be housed together? I have a semi-planted 30 gal. (The new baby is in a 10gal quarantine for now).

:wacko:

I wouldn't - it's not worth the risk of the little one being injured or worse.

You can get a tank divider if you want to keep them in one tank but separated. It's probably a useful thing to have anyway for when you move them in together - it will give them a chance to get used to each other.
I've seen some cheap ones which are just a net with some suction cups which will fit most size tanks, although I wasn't convinced that they would be axie proof. You can also get rigid perspex with holes in it cut to fit your tank which is a little more pricey. I went for the option of putting a smaller plastic tank inside my main tank. Now that my guys are cohabiting I've turned the small tank on it's side to make a shelf.

Haha yes my girlfriend had her boy and girls separated by one of the flexible ones. Two batches of eggs later we decided we should probably find a different solution...
But yeah the divider is a good solution, thanks : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back