10 gallons is way too small for one axolotl, let alone two. The small size could be why they’re snapping at each other. That, or you’re not feeding them enough.

Either way, the tank is way too small. Axolotls can grow up to a foot long, even more at times, so yours are gonna be squished in that tank real fast. And with the amount of bio load, you’ll have to be doing near daily water changes, otherwise they’re swimming in their own poop; the risk of infections and burns is dangerous.

I’d recommend AT LEAST a 40gal breeder tank for two axolotls, however for mine I chose a 55gal for ease. If I were you, I’d go with the 55gal just because of the amount of bio load your axies will produce.

If you live in the states, Petco tends to have really good tank sales, like 50% off. That’s how I got mine.

For future advice, I’d check out the axolotl discord—if you have discord, of course. It’s quick, and easy to get responses. They’ll help you out big time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back