Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

8 yr axolotl - diseased

Maddieh

Reaction score
Hi there.

I was gifted my axolotl 8 yrs ago and I have done my best to keep him healthy. Roj has overall been ok, but a few years ago I noticed he developed a small bump, like a balloon, translucent and lightly veined, on the left side of his body, toward his gills. It has never seemed to bother him, he has behaved normally and eaten regularly.
(Also, before going further, if you notice in the pics that his front left leg is bent, he had it bitten off right before I got him and it didn't grow back properly).
I moved a few months ago for a new job and I'll readily admit that I haven't been as attentive with his care due to long hours and big weeks.
I've just noticed that this growth on his side has gotten considerably bigger and I can't find any information about what it is or what I should do. Because it has been benign for so long, I sort of figured it may have just been a complication with his gumpy leg because it sits right under it.
In the photos you'll see he also has an infection, which I'm attempting to treat with tea baths. I also cleaned out his tank entirely in case any bad bacteria or fungi was clinging to the tank walls, furniture or inside the filter.
I already know that the bulge on his side won't be affected by the tea bath, as I've treated him to one once before and it did nothing for this bump.
Lastly, I'll test the pH of the water in the tank, but I do know that it stays relatively steady and from what I've been able to find online, it is within a normal range for an axolotl. Please post any levels to watch for and how to change them if they are problematic.

Please let me know of any medications I can release into his water or other treatments I could try. I'm feeling terribly guilty for letting him get so sick :( he's my first and probably only axolotl - I'm doing my best but I'm having to learn as I go. This is the first time in these eight years I've been genuinely concerned for his wellbeing.

Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• PXL_20211123_010748414.jpg
    PXL_20211123_010748414.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,000
  • PXL_20211123_010728887.jpg
    PXL_20211123_010728887.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 94

fishkid

Reaction score
older axololts are prone to tumours and lumps and bumps, have you only noticed growth and no issues in him? is he still eating and acting normal? there isn't really anything environmental that will cause this, if you are worried an exotic vet is your best option, they will be able to tell you if it can be treated or if you should be worried about cancer etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1