Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: A bit of fungus

sebguy

Reaction score
Okay,
so a few days ago I noticed a small spot of fungus on my axolotls gills, now before you ask
unfortunately I can't get a picture 1. because my camera's not good enough and
2. because the fungus is mostly covered by gill filaments.
So my question is is it possible to get rid of the fungus without salt baths?
since my axolotl has been eating fine, acting fine and is generally healthy otherwise,
could the fungus be fought off with her immune system and some Indian almond leaves
maybe?
I don't want to do salt baths at the moment because i know that they are very stressful

Skudo09

Reaction score
For mild fungal infrections it may be kinder to see if it clears up by itself in the first instance but you could certainly offer a black tea bath or Indian almond leaves if you like. Make sure water quality is perfect as this will help. Monitor it closely. I think people do tend to rush into salt bathes too readily when these bathes may not be necessary. Salt baths are very irritating to their skin and for mild fungal infections, a more mild approach may be all that is needed. It is also good to determine why there is fungus if possible to prevent it reoccurring.

There is a good sticky thread on fungus in the general information section of the axolotl part to refer to :)

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
About a year back both my axolotls got a very mild gill fungus. I didnt want to expose them to a harsh salt treatment so I went ahead and did constant small water changes and made sure the tank was spotless. It went away on its own in both of them after a few days.

sebguy

Reaction score
charleybambino, I've tried doing this a bit, but it's covered in gill filaments so it
won't come loose

ClockworkParrot, I've been doing this but since I have a large tank, keeping it spotless is
quite difficult

Skudo09, I'm trying to avoid salt baths as much as possible, and have purchased some
indian almond leaves. I'm trying to determine why there is fungus as everything seems fine
the water parameters are almost perfect)except for the ph which is a little high-7.4)

Overall, the fungus seems to be disappearing, so lets hope it continues this way!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I've always put any Axolotl with fungus into a separate container with cool dechlorinated water, changing the water 100% daily. It's always cleared up on its own!

charleybambino

Reaction score
Fungal spores are all around us in the air....so inevitably they end up in the water too, so you can never eliminate the risk...but I have read somewhere about dabbing the affected areas with something like hibiscrub

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!