Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A bucket of do not feed larvae

J

jesper

26277.jpg

26278.jpg

26279.jpg

The last one is a nasty Dragonfly larva!
The small critters are mayfly larvae.
Can somone tell me what the rest is?

I bet my paras would see the dragonfly larva as a nice and juicy meal.

J

jesper

Hi Mike,
Thanks.
The followup will be: Can I use them as snacks for big newts?

B

benjamin

No, they're so poisonous they're bites can even hurt humans!! They have the same effect as a bee sting, they even eat small gold fish, I've caught them doing it in my pond. I feed them all kinds of stuff in the summer, ants, flies, spiders, and even watch it's fun to watch them hunt, especially the big ones (2-4cm).

A

alan

As Ben says, the water boatmen are dangerous, but the mayfly larvae are good for adult aquatic newts (wouldn't trust them with very small larvae though).

J

john

The first are lesser water boatmen, Corixa spp.. They are not predatory and feed on detritus and plant material. The second is a so-called "greater" water boatman, Notonecta spp.. The dragonfly larva looks like a species of Aeshna, or possibly Anax (if memory serves though, I don't believe Anax are found in Sweden, so it's probably a species of Aeshna).

The mayfly larva is a trickier question. It's not Emphemera. I think it's probably Cloeon.

What I don't know about pond life hasn't been discovered by science :p.

And while I'm here, the contents of your bucket are all fine for feeding to newts, except for the greater water boatman/men and the dragonfly larva.

J

john

By the way, the greater water boatman could conceivably hurt you, so be careful with it.

J

joseph

Water boatmen are fun to have around if the newts don't eat them. I kept one in my tank for about a month or so. I think they eat plant matter and algae.

W

william

yeh beware of the greater waterboatmen, i had a nasty experience with one of those
errr.gif

J

jesper

Guess what I found in my apartment today?

A big fly that looks suspiciously like the mayfly larvae in my copepod/daphnia culture!
lol.gif

J

jesper

Just wanted to say that I had LOADS of mayflies in my apartment for weeks, they liked my white curtains for moulding on. They mould A LOT.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1