Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few Axolotl Questions

Spencerr

Reaction score
Hello! I have an axolotl I estimate to be around 9 months old, and I have a few questions about her! first, ive been feeding her bloodworm cubes you can buy at the pet store, ive bought two different brands and the cubes are about the same size, so i assume thats the default size. ive been feeding her two a day, but I'm unsure if that is enough for her. her belly is about the same thickness of her head, so i figure that shes okay, but im not sure how to gauge her feeding. I also feed her earthworms and slugs when we find them in the garden, are there any other bugs that i could be feeding her when i find them?
also, id like to make a hide for her, but i dont know which glue is safe for axolotl use. any glue recommendations and answers to my questions are greatly appreciated. thank you in advance!! <3

Wysper

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! And welcome to the wonderful world of Axolotls. :)

Bloodworms are OK to feed, but should never make up the majority of an axolotl's diet. They aren't the best choice nutritiously.

Earthworms are a much more appropriate staple diet, and can be supplemented with blood worms as a treat a few times a week if you want.

Pellets are also a vey good choice to feed (I get mine from someone off of Facebook, I will get the name for you when I get home tonight if you would like).

I have never heard of anyone feeding an axolotl slugs, so I cannot comment on that.

Any aquarium safe glue would be safe to use. Aquarium Sealant you can buy at a pet store, or GE Silicone I is commonly listed as safe to use after it cures completely.

Spencerr

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! And welcome to the wonderful world of Axolotls. :)

Bloodworms are OK to feed, but should never make up the majority of an axolotl's diet. They aren't the best choice nutritiously.

Earthworms are a much more appropriate staple diet, and can be supplemented with blood worms as a treat a few times a week if you want.

Pellets are also a vey good choice to feed (I get mine from someone off of Facebook, I will get the name for you when I get home tonight if you would like).

I have never heard of anyone feeding an axolotl slugs, so I cannot comment on that.

Any aquarium safe glue would be safe to use. Aquarium Sealant you can buy at a pet store, or GE Silicone I is commonly listed as safe to use after it cures completely.

thank you for your help! i didnt know that about the bloodworms, i read on other sites that they could be used as food, but if theyre not the best then ill do my best to get a steady supply of worms for her. i would also appreciate it if you could send me the pellets you use!! im really careful about what i do with rory, and i read on a few forums on here i believe that others feed their axolotls slugs if they find them. i will also look into those glues and get started on a hide as soon as possible. thank you very much!!

Wysper

Reaction score
No problem at all. :) I will get you her name tonight.

I see you are in PA! I lived there for a few years before moving last year, and still have most of my family in PA. Which part are you in?

Spencerr

Reaction score
No problem at all. :) I will get you her name tonight.

I see you are in PA! I lived there for a few years before moving last year, and still have most of my family in PA. Which part are you in?

sorry for the late reply! i appreciate your help a lot!
and oh thats cool! i dont meet very many people online from PA. i live up near the lake, what about you?

Wysper

Reaction score
Small world. We lived in the Erie area. Had a house out on Edinboro lake. :)

Both our parents, and most of the rest of our family lives up near there as well.

Wysper

Reaction score
Apologize for not getting back to you last night! Had a hectic family night when I got home from work.

lexolotls@gmail.com is her e-mail address. She is Lexi Miller on Facebook, and is part of the We Love Axolotls Facebook group. :)

She charges $10 a lb plus $6 shipping. I got 2 lbs when I ordered for $26, and I've only used up 1/4 lb (if that) with my 4 little pigs. lol

Great price for them, and they love them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1