Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few days in the Great Smokey Mountains

christopher law

Reaction score
So, this was a typical herp trip...no plan, just a couple books and a destination in mind.

The 14 hour drive down was tough...the I-79 was littered with road kill remains (6 vehicles written off because of deer and bear collisions).

We got too the park and were instantly ANNOYED with the max influx of people going to the smokies...not what we expected. When we got to the visitor center we asked for a remote campsite and we were directed that way. Chugged two beers, ate a can of cold ravioli and out we went.

We cleaned up the mid elevation caudata we were looking for, so the following day/night we hit up the higher elevations. Flipping logs and rocks at 6300 ft was EXHAUSTING and we only got 1 of our 4 targeted high elevation species..so off to another part of the park.

This part of this epic journey was the only time I really thought "anything goes wrong and we are dead". A single lane dirt road (if you can call this a road) takes us to our destination. With a heavy rain and fog and no guard rail to prevent us from plummeting to our death we decided to start up the mountain. Little did we know the 9 mile drive up was all sharp S-bends and would take us over an hour, but with no place to turn around, we were..how would you say pot committed. We eventually got to a point where we couldnt see the road anymore. We parked the car, got out to see where the road was going and to our surprise the road was right in front of us but even more interesting was that the sign to the right of us informed us that we were at our destination (good thing we got out or we would have been driving for hours longer).

The drive home was unpleasant to say the least...6 hours of driving through the mountains during a snow storm (started snowing in west Virginia and didnt let up until Pittsburg). So 3528 Kms on the car, 13 species of salamander and 1 frog.

Plethodon_serratus_fb-1.jpg

Plethodon_glutinosus_fb.jpg

Gyrinophilus_porphyriticus-fb.jpg

Eurycea_wilderae_fb.jpg

Eurycea_longicauda_fb-1.jpg

Desmognathus_quadramaculatus_fb.jpg

Desmognathus_monticola_fb.jpg

desmognathus_conanti_fb.jpg

Desmognathus_wrighti_fb.jpg

Desmog_conanti_fb.jpg

ohh wait, I think Im missing a photo or two

ahh, here it is
Cryptobranchus_alleganiensis_fb.jpg

Cryptobranchus_alleganiensis_fullbody_fb.jpg

Black leaves

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures.. thank you for sharing, from above picture no 6, what is that kind of salamander, it have really frog face look, what species is't? :D

Logan

Reaction score
I can't believe you found a hellbender. I believe I spent many an hour in or near freezing cold waters looking for one. Great photos
Logan

Nathan

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good time! Unfortunately you managed to hit the Smokies at peak tourist season- people love to come see the fall foliage there. It's less crowded in spring and summer, and nearly empty in winter.

Nshepard

Reaction score
Way nice on the D. marmoratus. Very difficult species to find....way better find than a hellbender!

Justyn

Reaction score
Hellbenders....I'm quite jealous right now. Congrats on seeing that many species in such a short time period. It looks like I might need to make a trip at some point.

Molch

Reaction score
hey, for the Plethodont virgins like me, I wonder if you could tell us which species the pix show - I think I know some of them but not all....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1