Question: A few have hatched. How long till I step in and help them hatch?

Jammer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Paul
I have a small batch of eggs that are near the end of their gestation. A few of them hatched last night. The rest are still in their eggs. How long do I need to wait until I step in and help them to hatch?:confused:

I feel that this is personal preference with most breeders. But for myself, i will usually give them at least another day to hatch without stepping in. If you have not tried this already, it can sometimes help to put a small light over them to provide a little warmth and light, this can help trigger the rest to hatch. Then if there are any stragglers, you could assist them the following day. But again, it is all personal preference. Let us know how things go!

Thank you Puzzle. I will let you know.

Is it that simple? I've always read that after axolotls start to hatch that it is a good idea to help them along after a certain amount of time. I obviously don't have a lot of first hand experience with this. I've only raised axolotls for one season. I only had moderate success. So please if you have experience just letting them be and not losing a bunch let me know. I'm sincerely asking for help.

From what I've read, you should wait until nearly all of them have hatched. It's like popping corn, you know? You know the popcorn is "done" when the vast majority of it just popped, but there are always a few problem kernels that refuse to pop. Or problem eggs, in this case. Those would be the ones that need a little help.

Im on my first batch as well..but mine had a huge hatching today due to me cleaning up dead eggs and dead babies..i had to cut them out ...lol..i also noticed alot of twin eggs...most are fine but a few were cloudy and the remaining one was left to be in its rot! So i released them...no scence letting them get sick and die!...my guess was me handeling them caused them to stress hatch to self preserve....lol...all is good they are well formed,,and the dead eggs and deformed are now gone.....they can hatch in peice...now... i had only 2 yesterday and today i have 39! Lol:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back