A few issues with my boy

Friend of Monty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi y'all,
So I've had my boy Monty for about 3 months now. I received him from a home where he was a childhood pet for 6 years, and have had a few indications that he wasn't the best looked after. I've done my best to take care of him, but have made some mistakes, such as letting nitrate levels stay very high, well over 100ppm it seemed (turns out there's a lot of it even in the tap water where I am, but I've managed to get it stable at around 25ppm now).

Unfortunately he's been experiencing some issues. Fungus on his gills was removed after a few days of salt baths but has returned. Soon I will try a constant low dose method. Most worrying however is that his left eye has turned very cloudy. Is there any treatment for this beyond getting the water parameters right? I would be very unhappy if he was permanently blind in that eye.

IMG_20210119_102801.jpg
IMG_20210112_154542.jpg
21-01-12 15:50:08.png

Also there are some marks on his body that have been there since I got him. A green blotch and some white marks on his head, and a large patch of noticeably dark skin on his side. Is this something I should be concerned about? Many thanks, and may your Axolotls be peaceful and happy.

IMG_20201203_143801.jpg
IMG_20201203_144152.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back