Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Friend for Tristen (axolotl)

PippaAngel

Reaction score
Hello
I've had my axolotl for four months now. she has a three foot tank. I was hoping to get her a friend. Preferably another axolotl and a fish. What would be the best companion for her?

Kaini

Reaction score
You really shouldn't keep fish with an axolotl, the axolotl is likely to eat it and the fish can damage the axolotls gills.

Getting another axolotl depends on the size of the tank. The general rule is 10 gallons per axolotl with plenty of room to move on the bottom of the tank.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I think the best tank mate would be another Axolotl. Mixing species is a bad idea for lots of reasons, but as far as Axolotls go, if it's smaller than your Axolotl it may get eaten, or if it's bigger than your Axolotl, it may stress or damage him! I would get a second Axolotl of similar size if i were you, I used to love watching mine interact with each other and they did all seem to have their own personality!
Hope this helps! :)

Kaini

Reaction score
The holds 96 litres i'm not sure what that is in gallons.

25 gallons. I'm pretty sure that would be alright for a second axolotl but as Chinadog said make sure it is of a similar size so it can't be bullied by the other one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!