Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A friend needs Baby Brine Shrimp ASAP

Kida

Reaction score
Is there anyone on here that lives in Rhode island that could spare enough BBS for 5 or so days? My friend thought they could feed blackworms right after they hatched only to find they aren’t eating. They have ordered a hatchery but it won’t get to them for at least 5 days. A lot of them have already died and I am trying to prevent more deaths.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Can you friend get to a pet store? A fish specialty store would be ideal. Many sell brine shrimp eggs. You just need to throw them into a jar with salt water (sea salt or non-iodized salt) with an air stone hooked up to an air pump. Nothing fancy.

Kida

Reaction score
Possibly but they want live brine shrimp and want to wait til the hatchery they bought gets to them to try to hatch any though I am not sure why.

Viking

Reaction score
If warm enough like 75 - 80 BBS eggs hatch in 24 hours. You want to feed all of them in the first day. They have a egg yolk when gone leaving them with little food value when they are too old. To hatch eggs a 2 litter bottle with a couple teaspoons of salt without iodine. The curved bottom prevent the eggs piling up in corners., Canning salt will work. Remember that bubbling put little specks of salt water in the air. Place container in a place that salt built up won't hurt anything. You do not need to buy a hatchery. Empty soda bottles allow to expand as much as necessary.

I harvest with a turkey baster through a brine shrimp net. I find the new do not work well. I use a funnel and a coffee filter folded into a cone to remove a salt water. Some people like rinse with fresh water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1