Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A new 20-long for a Tiger.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Hopefully this will suffice.

I gotta do some touch ups on the BG, add some foam sheets with some bark attached to the one side, and Im gunna re do the substrate layer with a thicker layer of loam on top.

The BG is a great stuff and Peat back ground with brown silicone as the adhesive layer and a fine layer of loam and dried long fiber sphagnum.

The substrate is a mix of black sand ( very, very little ) top soil, peat and sphagnum chopped up very fine.

Its kinda dark and creepy but Im gunna do a coat of moss milkshake here and there and add some brighter leaf litter.

Hopefully this will suffice for a Tiger Salamander. I dont plan on getting it till this set up is complete 100% ( well not the moss anyway ) and its gunna be for my son on his Birthday in September.

It kinda reminds me of some of the wooded areas along the Lehigh river where I grew up in PA. The substrate is a lot like that fine black silty loam. To the deeper side, you cant see but under that mound beside that root I have two half logs silicone together to form a long one and buried under that mound. Hopefully the Salamander would take to it to hide but I do have a few more spaces for him to go.

Attachments

• DSCN0965.jpg
    DSCN0965.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 764
  • DSCN0971.jpg
    DSCN0971.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 761
  • DSCN0974.jpg
    DSCN0974.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,086

ghostsaw

Reaction score
Re: A new 20L for a Tiger.

I am no expert but I have a few tigers myself and they love to dig. I would put more dirt in the tank.... all I have in my tiger tanks is dirt a water bowl ..mine like to take a dip time to time...and pvc tunnels.. Mine spend most of there time in the tunnels or hiding in the dirt...

JWERNER

Reaction score

Theirs a huge mound of dirt, two actually.

I am still waiting on some loam to top of the substrate with, but yeah I got lots more dirt than it appears. I also have places like the half logs that are burried for them to hide which some people say can help reduce digging.

The center is lower cause you need a depression from what I read to achieve different levels of moisture in the substrate. Most people just do that by letting it slope down to one side. I thought that was boring.

JWERNER

Reaction score

Anyone else?

Opinions are welcome. I wanna find out what the outside world thinks of my work. I kinda wanna start selling pre made vivs and such.

ghostsaw

Reaction score

I think you need a water dish in there or water of some kind that will be easy to change. My tigers frequently visit their little swimming pools...

JWERNER

Reaction score

Yes, thats also on the list to do before I acquire what ever animal I am putting in this one.

I want it to be hidden and blend in well so Im just waiting till I go grocery shopping next so I can get a small black microwave dinner dish. Im just gunna smear some black aquarium sealant on it and attach very large rocks to it.

JWERNER

Reaction score

I updated it a bit with leaf litter and some loam. Im still waiting on a dish.

Here is a video. Not that it makes that much of a difference but I converted it to 1080p with xilisoft so watch in 1080hd!:crazy:
YouTube - ‪20 long terrarium‬‎

I have been thinking about something smaller like a T. Shanjing or A. Opacum.

sfmmfreak

Reaction score

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I just wanted to say what a beautiful and naturally looking setup.

JWERNER

Reaction score

Thanks. I remodeled it since and removed that large root just for more surface space. I cant find my Flip and its kinda irritating cause I got more updates and the kids busted the camera so a photo log is out of the question.

( I have no clue why it says its been removed but maybe a moderator can edit that post with this link in place YouTube - 20 long terrarium )

Griffin8891

Reaction score

Lovely. Looks like something I would see in a zoo.

Cas

Reaction score

Wow... That looks amazing, really natural looking. (I love the reflection of the toy snakes on the bed, confused me for a moment lol)

NathanF

Reaction score
Your tank is awesome...just was wondering if the wood in the tank is store bought or if you found that in the forest. I have tried to use wood from outdoors before that looked quite similar. I cleaned it off really well but in the moist setting and dirt of my Tiger tank mold would always grow!?!? Did you buy the wood or else was it treated in some way?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1