A new addition

Reccetrooper

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Grant
So while riding with my trusty pooch Trooper in my sidecar bike, I see a small Ambystoma mavortium crossing the blacktop in front of me. Since there’s no traffic, I pull over and rescue this little one from a crushing death. He/she is now living with another of its species. No sooner was it placed into the enclosure, it started to burrow down into the substrate. Roughly the same length as Buffy but much thinner and darker.

Attachments

• 3D2FFF40-B7E5-431D-BDEA-D6FF104D350A.jpeg
    3D2FFF40-B7E5-431D-BDEA-D6FF104D350A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 791
  • B7AAEA4D-F7AF-4631-826D-F4A4386218DA.jpeg
    B7AAEA4D-F7AF-4631-826D-F4A4386218DA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
Very nice. Is collection of those legal in Alberta?

Unknown John. I've researched this and couldn't find anything about the western tiger salamander .
I did, however, discover that the eastern and blotched are illegal to own as pets.

Last edited:
Unknown John. I've researched this and couldn't find anything about the western tiger salamander .
I did, however, discover that the eastern and blotched are illegal to own as pets.
You have blotched in Alberta. Nothing else. These are them.

I’ll return them to the wild where I found them tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up John.

Further to my last reply John, I emailed a friend in the Alberta Govt who replied to me this morning. Owning a tiger salamander including its subspecies is not illegal in the province, however you cannot sell said critter.

Further to my last reply John, I emailed a friend in the Alberta Govt who replied to me this morning. Owning a tiger salamander including its subspecies is not illegal in the province, however you cannot sell said critter.
Good info! Thanks for sharing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back