Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A positive outcome - from a bossy woman!

SarahandRich

Reaction score
My daughter recently went to a large public zoo/aquarium in the SE of England and came home concerned, as they had an 'information board' up beside the exhibit of axolotls that stated (in effect) that if you take one out of water it will morph... :p

I was very concerned about this, so looked them up on the old InterWeb and contacted them. I told them I was concerned that people would buy an axie to experiment, hoped there were no sellers nearby, and requested that they removed the misleading sign IMMEDIATELY and contacted me re agreement on wording for a new one (I admit I was rather stern, but so what! I felt someone had to be!)

THE NEXT DAY I received a reply. They agreed, AND they have removed the sign! They said they would research THIS SITE (I gave them the link) before having a new sign made and thanked me for my concern.

It's good to know, that simply by doing something positive, rather than just moaning about it, I made something happen! :D

Abrahm

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that! Good to see that being involved worked and they agreed to change their signange and research a new one.

SarahandRich

Reaction score
It gets better!

This morning I got a wake-up phone call. It was the manager at the aquarium! I was suddenly really embarrassed; its easier to be 'demanding' in an email than when you're caught off-guard and half asleep. :eek:

He asked if I'd received the email and was happy with their response. Then he surprised me. He ASKED ME, AS IF I WAS AN EXPERT (ha!):eek:, what I recommended they do as their axolotls had just laid a surprise gift of 20 eggs, and the last and only other batch was killed in a fire they'd had previously. :(

I suggested starting up their own daphnia hatchery, so they'd have nice new teeeny ones for when the larvae hatched. We discussed water changes, habitat and substrate. He seemed impressed/pleased. And boy, was I was relieved?!! At least he asked something I knew... Phew :eek::D:cool:

rich

Reaction score
lol, Well then i Think the Aquirum is lucky that it was somebody that knew what they was talking about :). And while studying animal manegment, i was told before i started my course that it would ruin all zoo's and Aquiria forever, as instead of looking at the animals, your constantly looking for faults (and forever findings them unfortunatly) But be extremaly pleased with ur self! As without u speaking up alot of axie may have come into harm.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You see, it really is worth the time it takes to SAY SOMETHING. They really are odd creatures, our axolotls, and - I haven't even considered the psychology of it - also somehow addictively endearing. Never mind all that, most people who actually present animals of some kind, for show or for sale, are actually interested in the animals themselves (we have to keep believing this statement, you see). The horror stories we all know really stem from ignorance, not cruelty or money-mindedness (and I keep telling myself that).

20 eggs is, by the way, pretty thin.

I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to visit aqarium clubs and such to talk about axolotls, as they seem to be "enjoying" increasing interest.

Cloudyn92

Reaction score
Kind of concerning that this misinformation was at a zoo! Good for you for correcting them and getting them some husbandry information for their eggs. Hopefully this misstep will make them more vigilant in the future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!