Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A sad day

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
One of my adult female T. natans has died. I have maintained this group for the last four years when I received them as (presumably wild caught) adults. She appeared to be pregnant and from her behavior was in some difficulty with bloody marks around the cloaca for the last few days. The last loss I had was an adult female which died one day after giving birth to one stillborn and one live youngster (now adult). The problem appears to be related to pregnancy/birth. Any suggestions?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This appears to be rather common.
I remember several years ago in an herpetological hearing, that a german breeder was talking exactly about this. He even had a case of "gay" Typhlonectes in which two males engached in sexual activity and copulation. One of the males behaved as a gravid female for several months only to die one day. They actually discovered it was a male in the autopsy.

I wish i had any help Alan, i´m sorry you lost the animal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!