Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aaah....such joy :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse the horrible quality of the picture, i can´t manage to take any better than that...:S
She is one year old and has already laid more eggs than her mother ever did. I have so much fun watching her lay, and watching the different stages of development in the eggs...ah...what a jolly good thing this hobby is xD

Attachments

• P1070470.JPG
    P1070470.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 474

otolith

Reaction score
Beautiful photo! Does she lay on the shredded plastic more frequently than on the plants? Best of luck with the new additions.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lovely! Is she C. orientalis or pyrrhogaster?

Yahilles

Reaction score
I thought it's a dobrogicus.

Congratulations, Azhael. My newts for now have laid only few eggs and they don't like plastic strips much.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Yes thought the same, that were a dobrogicus female since the eggs are all whitish and cynops lay haft black half white and it gives to understand a female by the tail. Young female though.

evut

Reaction score
She looks quite skinny compared to my female.... but then mine should hopefully have all the eggs inside her :) Does she use only the plastic strips or plants too?
And are you doing anything to increase the survival rates of the larvae in the tank?

End

Reaction score
I think this is the best rewarding for all cure and attentions that we put into this passion
Congrats and good luck

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my, i forgot to say the species xD so sorry...
It´s a T.d.dobrogicus of course.
Against all my previous experience, this female started using Elodea, and has only laid one egg in the java fern. I then introduced the plastic strips and since, she appears to be laying most/all of the eggs on the strips. There are quite a few on the Elodea, though (around 20 that i can see).

I´m not doing anything because there are no larvae as of yet, but i intend to raise the offspring separately. The adults ignore the eggs entirely, but i know they would rip a juvenile into pieces...plus the larvae themselves are very cannibalistic and agressive.

My C.orientalis and C.pyrrhogaster are laying too (well, the C.orientalis is always laying so old news there xD), and i´m raising the eggs and larvae in with the parents with those two species.

Thanx all for the nice comments :)

Yahilles

Reaction score
Sounds totally reversed to orientalis - CFBN, as you probably know eat eggs like crazy but ignore the larvae ;)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not mine, really....i have a theory that they only eat unfertilized or dead eggs, and still their egg hunger varies a lot between seasons...sometimes they don´t even touch them...(like right now, there are plenty of eggs around and i haven´t seen them eat any or found any evidence of missing eggs). Two years ago, though, they ate tones of them.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
It´s a T.d.dobrogicus of course.
Against all my previous experience, this female started using Elodea, and has only laid one egg in the java fern. I then introduced the plastic strips and since, she appears to be laying most/all of the eggs on the strips. There are quite a few on the Elodea, though (around 20 that i can see).

My dobrogicus have also decided they prefer the plastic strips over elodea. Sure makes collecting the eggs easier on me. :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I thought i´d post a couple of pictures of the larvae :D
They are doing very well so far... this year i hope to be able to bring up a decent number of them (not too many , though, since i can´t handle them right now), so i´ll be separating them in a week or two.

They are quite adorable to watch xD

Attachments

• P1070487.JPG
    P1070487.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 266
  • P1070491.JPG
    P1070491.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 273

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Little update.

Attachments

• P1070550.JPG
    P1070550.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 269
  • P1070556.JPG
    P1070556.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 267

ferreron

Reaction score
Here is another update. Thanks to the work of Azhael, here is what the dobrogicus look like some months later:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
No offence to Rodrigo, but I never thought you had such great bloodlines!!! The males have such a high crest! And from what I see. They developed just fine to adults (Not as my CB larvae:() Now I want some from you Rodrigo! xD:famous:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fallacies!!!!
The merit of those lovely, plump animals is all yours! They actually have higher crests than their parents xD (i must really fatten them up with worms asap). They grew up very fast, but when i sent them to you a little over two months ago, they were nowhere near as beautiful.

Jorge: thanks? xD They sure are lovely. Mine grow VERY fast as juveniles but then remain relatively small as adults. What happened to yours?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!