Illness/Sickness: Able to see spine on newt

tzigane87

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an oregon newt who I have had for 4 years. Always looked healthy but recently his backbone is starting to show. He doesn't act any different from what I've seen. Should I move him to a smaller cage and feed him more. I don't want his buddy to get sick. I got them together. Any advice?

I would seperate them for a bit. This serves 2 purposes. First, this will prevent it from passing something onto the other newt if it in fact has something contagious. The other possibility is that the other newt has started bullying or stressing out your sick newt.

You can try increasing the amount of feedings by adding an extra day. Also I would add waxworms to its diet as these are high in fat and are extremely effective at adding weight to newts and salamanders.

Thanks a bunch I will def try this. I also noticed today when I cleaned them out that my newt is also bloated. If he doesn't get better soon I'll have him checked out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back