Add yourself to the Caudata.org Map!

added as well...interesting picture, be prepared to drool, but before you barrage me, I don't have it anymore and ain't saying where it went...heehee
nono.gif

how come the aussies arent appearing on the map? i know there are aussie members -and when i signed up i was able to ge the 'map it' feature with me but not appear on the actual map- i fear not all members appear on the visual map....

probably because the aussies frequent the axie forum and probably don't look at the rest of the site.

Brian, for some reason i can't see photos, what is it a photo of?

There is one Australian (Stipe Puric), but you have to click on his name in order to be able to see "over there" on the other side of the world
smile7.gif

Yes, Brian, I'm drooling, though not with any desire to acquire. What is it, and may I possibly use the photo?

Hi Jenn,

Feel free to use the photo...I have a couple others (photos that is) I'll send you separately, along with the species name...let's see if anyone else recognizes it...amazing what you'll find at Petco labeled as a fire-bellied newt...
lol.gif

Brian

Hi John,

Some have argued that it should be, rather than what it's classified as. There are definite similarities in appearance, though it is a bit smaller that most Salamandra...

Hint...the other species (1) of this genus looks quite different...it's also rarely seen by hobbyists, but perhaps more common than the one in my photo...Holy Grail stuff, really...

Jenn, please email me privately with your email address, the one I had from the last time we corresponded bombed on me...

Brian

i just took a look at the large blow up of that pic-it has square toes and small paratoids....along with pores down the back and tail.....

go to the pictures posted page and click on the picture-its bigger than my screen!

Thanks. That's helpful. Not Salamandra but I don't know what it is. Please put me out of my misery, Brian.

It looks like a Lyciasalamandra.. although there are very few pictures to compare with. Just a guess.

From Amphibiaweb for e.g.
"S. luschani antalyana: The dorsal side is yellow with dark spots, or vice versa. The lateral band is yellowish and not clearly defined. The ventral side is yellowish. The members of this subspecies are easily recognized by the conspicuous yellow parotoids and eye patch."

Lyciasalamandra antalyana?
formerly known as Mertensiella luschani antalyana

(Message edited by ralf on December 01, 2005)

Very good Ralf, wasn't aware of the subspecies status, nor the change of species name, but it is the former Mertensiella luschani. I had the rare opportunity to see a few a couple of years ago. Truly magnificent animals!

Awww - don't I get brownie points for guessing along the right lines too?
cry.gif

Hey Ralf and Marc (and Jenn and John),

just did a quick search with the new taxonomy and I see that Amphibiaweb has a number of very nice photos of the several!?! subspecies of Lyciasalamandra luschani including antalyana for your viewing pleasure... guess I've been out of the loop too long and missed all the big re-classifications. But hey, I'm back and will try to pay more attention this time...

and yes...a 10 brownie points to Marc for guessing in the right direction and knowing the new genus assignment when I didn't
lol.gif

Hi Miqe, now we are three Swedes albeit I don't live in Sweden any longer. Just moved from Uppsala a couple of months ago...

To Mark:
Official brownie points can be spent in any pub in the Bristol Area, 10 points equalling about one pint of beer
smile.gif

Hi Jesper, hope you like Bristol. I used to live there. How come you're there?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back