Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice for adding another lotl to my large tank

AnimeDan

Reaction score
Hello! Right now I have a 38 gallon long tank that only has my wild type Axolotl buddy. About a month ago I bought a new lucy that I have named princess and have been keeping her in a separate smaller tank to make sure she didn’t have any diseases. (I don’t actually know either of their genders yet) they are both in the 6-7 inch range though buddy is much bulkier than princess, not fat just big.

Ive read that they can be territorial and can bite new axolotls and I’m afraid that buddy might hurt princess.

Their tanks have been right next to each other and I see them hanging out and staring at each other which gives me hope that I might be able to add her fine but I just wanted to see if you recommend I do something extra like get a divider for the tank or if I should just be able to move her hide into the larger tank and add her in.
I’ve attached recent pictures of the two of them for reference.
BEAA7636-14D1-4BA3-8751-E7564846652A.jpeg
8602C178-7777-4D21-A54D-0DD9E9ECC055.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1