Question: Advice on new fire salamanders

chris151

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all I am new to the hobby and brought 2 Fire salamander from a good local pet shop 2 days ago. From what the pet shop said they are between 8 and 12 months old but this isn't for certain. I was wondering could anyone help me identify what sub species they are? I have also included a picture of the set up they will be kept in so any advice on this too will also be helpful, I removed the sphagnum moss that I originally had in their after reading it could be harmful. I eventually plan to breed fire salamanders once I have a better knowledge so any advice on this would also be appreciated. Apologies if any of this has been spoke about before or posted in the wrong section as I am also new to forums :)

Thanks

Chris :)

Attachments

• P1100634 resize.JPG
    P1100634 resize.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 230
  • P1100635 resize.JPG
    P1100635 resize.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 245
  • P1100638 resize.JPG
    P1100638 resize.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 282
Thank you for the link Chinadog, it was an interesting read :)

Thanks

Chris, the subspecies looks to be terrestris.
The setup looks pretty good, but I would add a few more hides :)

Thank you for the advice and the identification on the subspecies Seth, much appreciated :)

Thanks

you tank looks good and yea you could use some more hiding places here are some ideas
CIMG5305.jpg

CIMG5303.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back