Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on Planting

FireStar

Reaction score
Hi, I'm renovating my frog tank and would like to include plants.
I haven't had much luck with plants as they keep dying.

Doesn't anyone have any tips what species of plants, ferns, mosses etc that would be good with a Litoria frog tank. As well planting techniques and where I may obtain them in NZ.

jclee

Reaction score
What kind of set-up do you have? Size, humidity, substrate, etc.

There are a lot of options, and it helps to know what you are starting with, or what you have in mind.

FireStar

Reaction score
What kind of set-up do you have? Size, humidity, substrate, etc.

There are a lot of options, and it helps to know what you are starting with, or what you have in mind.

My new tank is going to be approx 90cm by 45cm by 40cm.
Cause my current one gets quite wet at the bottom, I'm going to use expanded clay, followed by a layer of soil then a layer of moss.

So the idea is plants can grow in the soil but the frogs don't accidentally ingest it cause it's covered by moss.

Does that made sense?

jclee

Reaction score
That makes sense. Have you thought about cocofiber, rather than moss? (It is less prone to molding.) Also, if you haven't already, look into getting some springtails or isopods to help keep the soil fresh.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. A lot of the cheap and common house-plants (like pothos) do well in the high-humid environment of a tree frog tank, so that might be a good place to start.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1