Advice planting tubs

Sean90

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sean
Recently I have created a planted tub with devil ivy and a hanging basket ivy plant with live moss. The shanjing seem to enjoy the plants climbing and concealing themselves in the leaves.

However, I have heard different things about the two plants. Since planting the plants I have stopped adding crickets to prevent them eating the plants becoming is toxic. Is this something I should worry about.

Thinking of adding more plants like creeping fig and ferns.
Any suggestions.
sean90-albums-tylototriton-shanjing-picture27554-img-7624-1.jpg

Though that plant is poisonous I would be a little shocked if you let a cricket go, it ate some, and in turn killed your shanjing.

whats poisonous to cats and dogs, is not always or even usually posionous to Caudata or insects.

I've kept Golden Pothos(devil ivy) in with Cham's, as well as other "furry pet" toxic plants and never had any problems. I do always keep a piece of carrot in my terrariums for any lucky crickets to munch on. That is usually about gut load and to avoid any nips to the reptile/caudata and not about keeping them from eating the plants though.

Thanks reply just read it on another forum and didn't want to risk it. Concerned when some ferns said risk of irritating skin. Purchased a book and suggests only experienced keepers to use live plants. Wanting to plant the rest the tubs adding ferns and creeping plants.
Thanks

Thanks reply just read it on another forum and didn't want to risk it. Concerned when some ferns said risk of irritating skin. Purchased a book and suggests only experienced keepers to use live plants. Wanting to plant the rest the tubs adding ferns and creeping plants.
Thanks

I would be wary of any plants that actually secrete an irritant.
but I don't see you having an issue with Pothos.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365436517.090218.jpg

Found this weed in the garden would anyone think it be any good to plant in a tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back