Photo: Advise me on my tank set-up

I still rather keep gravel. Sand is indeed easier to clean, but in my cases, I don't clean at all. Because of the gravel, dirt falls down to it, but there are also the bacteria. In my experiences with sand, I never had a good bacterial balance, even if the setup was the same (exept the gravel/sand part offcourse)

To each his own, Joost. I prefer sand over gravel for aesthetic reasons, as well.

yes sure, it is too complex. But its my first ever tank and there was no way i was going to wait months and months for the newts to grow up before getting to play around with tank designs! no doubt I'll make more changes to it as I find out what works and what doesn't. But as I don't have any other tanks to maintain I don't mind if it takes a bit more work to look after this one; on the whole I'd prefer the newts to be in an environment that bears some resemblance to where they would live in the wild.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back