United States
Display Name
Mama Dean
6 new frogs from pet store
10 gallon tank
feeding blood worms

any tips?
pictures coming soon.

Frog forum is probably the best site for frog advice. These guys are best kept in a species only tank, if kept with community fish they may have problems feeding, as the fish beat them to the food. They do well on live food, though their diet may be supplimented with frozen foods. I keep mine in a tank with a pair of breeding angels, if you intend to do this make sure that the frogs dont starve or get harrased by the fish.

Petsmart is notorious for having Chryid fungas in their systems. I learned the hard way. Do your research. Get something more nutricious than bloodworms into your rotation too. Try mysis shrimp, enriched brine, or chopped up earthworms.

I dont know about the US but lots of adf in the UK are wild caught, my last three batches have died within a week of purchase, they just dont seem to feed then waste away with no obvious signs of disease or injury.

I have gotten some dwarf frogs mixed with some small tetra fish, I feed them bloodworms, and the frog gets it all becuase the fishes mouths are so small, they cant eat the bloodworms. So it works out becuase the fish dont beat the frogs to the food.

But so far two of my fish have died and i dont know it its the store I got them from or cause their really small :-( But the other guys are doing fine.

I have gotten some dwarf frogs mixed with some small tetra fish, I feed them bloodworms, and the frog gets it all becuase the fishes mouths are so small, they

What kinds of tetra are they? as some can be aggresive, also if your fish are smaller than dwarf frogs they are probably still babies and may grow, which could potentialy cause you problems in the future.

I am not 100 percent sure, but at the petstore they said they were neon tetras and they are really small with a blue neon stripe down their sides. And my frog is super super small.

Neons will be fine with the ADF , they are small and non aggressive. Make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces for the frogs and some floating plants, they like to hang on the surface and appear more comfortable when they have cover. Also african clawed frogs are often sold mistakenly as dwarfs, check the frogs front feet , are they webbed?, if so it is a dwarf. If they are not webbed it will be an african clawed frog which may have a lower temperature requirment (species dependant) than the dwarf and it may eat your neons when it grows.

Yes, my frogs front feet are webbed, so it is african dwarf frog.
When I turn on my bubbler to put oxygen in the water for my fish, my frog doesn't seem to like it because the current might be too string I think. I am going today to buy some real aquatic plants instead to put some oxygen in the water that way. I this ok?

What type of aquatic plant would you recommend? And what sedement would I have to use? oh and also, do neon tetras stay small, or do they grow bigger?

-Thanks!

Frogs dont breathe under water ,they have lungs so live plants wont make any difference to them lol, have you tried clamping the airstone hoze to reduce the water disturbance?

The oxygen was for my fish, and my frog hates the current from the bubbler because it shakes him around a little. What would I clamp the air hose with? is there a speical thing you can buy at the petstore?

You should be able to buy air hose clamps from any pet shop.

Frogs seem to love the filter and can often be found sleeping under it. 10 gallon tank with 6 frogs we should probably have 12 gallons (2 gallons per frog i believe is the ratio) b ut they seem to be doing ok.

im just gonna get some real plants, but i dont know if they will survive in my tank. real plants here are very exspensive.

Some easy low-light plants include java moss (by FAR the easiest), amazon swords, crypts (will require root tabs), and anubias. If you upgrade your lighting, you open yourself up to many more plants. For my planted 10 gallon, I use 2-15 watt regular CFL bulbs with a 6500K rating. If you have that kind of lighting you can have water wisteria, cabomba, anacharis, hygrophilia, and many many others.

But when you keep the light plugged in and turned on all day, do you find that it uses a lot of electricity on your electricty bill?

you will scarcely notice it - - I have lights on ALL of my tanks and have had no crazy jumps in electricity. (the list of my tanks is in my signature)

Oh, ok! Thanks for all of your help!

I also have some tetras mixed with my frogs, and they are territorial to the bloodworms. I am a bit worried.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back