Age of mother

wyanii

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi and thanks for reading this. Well we had some Easter Eggs yesterday. Our copper female is a little young, somewhere between 12-18 months and had her first clutch yesterday. It was quite unexpected as I still wasn't sure what her sex was as she's still smallish.

Anyways... Long story short I'm wondering about the viability of her eggs at this young age. I read a post on Reddit yesterday where someone claimed that (speaking to another person in similar circumstance) being the first clutch etc he would be lucky to get 10 viable eggs. True? The person claimed he had been told that also but 196 viable eggs later...

So, is their any truth to this?

thanks

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but from my experience the viability of eggs depends on the conditioning/health of the female rathere than age.

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but from my experience the viability of eggs depends on the conditioning/health of the female rathere than age.
That's what I'm asking. I really don't want to cull them so I'm hoping that there will only be a few good ones that will save me.

Thanks.

If there both sexes present the eggs usually run 90+ fertile. It is possible for a female to lay as soon as 6-8 months but is not recommended. You will know if the eggs are in 3 days or so. In a week they will start to bean. Remember in the wild an average females has only 2 kids that grow up to reproduce. It is called a balanced population. I know it is harsh. It is also hard to find homes for 100+ juvies.

Well for anyone who still might be wondering... She was quite fertile. I found a home for all the eggs except for the few I kept which all hatched.

Thanks for your replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back