Aip pumps/stone

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

As you may know i have just set up my tank and am wondering if i require and air pump or air stone for my tank?

At the moment i have no source of air going into the water.

You need at least an air stone, if not a filter as well. Some of my tanks have both, and some have just an air stone. But all of them have at least an air stone.

My tank has a filter and i have been running that for the last two days before starting the cycling process.

So i need an air stone?

I have a large tank , 90 cm length and 4 width (160Lirtes). What size should i buy?

I have an airstone in my tank, but I do not have it on very often. but when it is I have one axolotl who loves to lie in it.

Haha thats so cute =)

Do you need one to keep axolotls or can they just get oxygen from the air as my tanks hood has slits in it?

I personally don't think that you have to have one, as long as you have a filter that disturbs the water . Since I have moved my guys haven't had theirs ...but now you have reminded me I shall find it for them :rolleyes:

okay.
Are there signs i should look for to see if i need more oxygen in my tank for my axolotl?

I believe as long as your filter slightly agitates the surface of the water there should be plenty enough oxygen for your axolotl. If the axie is gulping at the surface a lot it might be a sign of lower oxygen levels, but to be honest I've not really heard of this much, it more often happens with an axie with badly damaged gills.

Axolotls actually get oxygen in three ways - through their skin, their gills and they also have rudimentary lungs wich is why they gulp at the surface, so I wouldn't worry too much.

One more thing, warmer water has less oxygen in it than cooler water, so another reason to keep the water cool!

Hi as said above an air stone is not needed. You may spend money gettin one for your axie to hate it. I dont have air stones in with mine just filters. Mel

okay thank you =)

I haven't actually got a thermometer at the moment. well i do but it doesnt go below 18 degrees so i will buy one tomorrow when purchasing my plants.

the water is cool to touch at the moment and i hav a chiller however i have not used this yet.

I don't use one, But I have a good filter system and live plants

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back