Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Air Bubble Belly

KirbyandYoshi

Reaction score
So I have this axolotl larva that is floating upside down and clearly has an air bubble in his belly. He has been like this for 2 days now. He is actually eating normally and when you cause any disruption to the water he tries to swim down and reorient himself but floats back up. Will he eventually pass the bubble or is he doomed? I'd hate to think he's doomed because besides being upside down he acts like the other larvae and eats really well. Here's a pic of him sorry not great quality.

Edit: This morning the little guy is swimming normally and not floating or upside down.

Attachments

• 20210223_193343.jpg
    20210223_193343.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

axie owner

Reaction score
get it to eat something live. the live thing will consume the air then get digested.

KirbyandYoshi

Reaction score
get it to eat something live. the live thing will consume the air then get digested.
He's been eating live baby brineshrimp. Of you look at the pic you can see all the bbs around him. I don't think he's big enough to eat any other live things. Does this just take time?

axie owner

Reaction score
He's been eating live baby brineshrimp. Of you look at the pic you can see all the bbs around him. I don't think he's big enough to eat any other live things. Does this just take time?
i'm not sure what to do. usually that works for me. i will ask some friends for advise.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
So I have this axolotl larva that is floating upside down and clearly has an air bubble in his belly. He has been like this for 2 days now. He is actually eating normally and when you cause any disruption to the water he tries to swim down and reorient himself but floats back up. Will he eventually pass the bubble or is he doomed? I'd hate to think he's doomed because besides being upside down he acts like the other larvae and eats really well. Here's a pic of him sorry not great quality.
there are unfortunately some genetic defects that can cause this kind of thing. If he is eating well, but it still does not resolve. He may not make it. I had one hatchling that lived for about a month like that, but as he got bigger I could see some other small defects in the way is legs were developing, ect. It was a hard decision to make, but his quality of life would have been very poor and he would not have lived to see adulthood. Not saying that is for sure whats happening here, but it is a possibility

axie owner

Reaction score
well all my friends said it is a genetic disorder. sorry. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!