Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Air stones?

B

bluefroggy

Hello!

So yesterday I was looking at air stones in my local aquarium, which I hadn't really considered adding to my tank until recently.

Are they a purely aesthetic feature, or do they help the tank in some other way? And more importantly, I suppose, is there any argument *against* having an airstone in an axolotl tank?

Thankyou!}

K

kim

I have an air stone and i dont believe that there are any arguments aganist having one.

The air stone doesn't put air straight into the tank what it does it moves the surface water which means more air can enter the water.

My axies used to 'gulp' air at the surface before i got one.. but now i have it seems to have almost stopped. Tho most axies 'gulp' air even if there is enough in the water.

I also have my air stone in the tank as mine play games... they swim up to the bubbles go to the top of the water then swim off the bubbles... then they do it all over again.

I find that if i have the pump on full and it pushes out more air they dont like it. so ive turned it down a bit so its not too fast.

K

kaysie

The only argument I could think of is the oversaturation of dissolved gasses in the water, leading to gas-bubble disease.

like Kim said, airstones increase surface area, allowing more gasses to dissolve.

Mine also play the "ride the bubble column" game. and I split the line and clamped it, so it only runs about half power.

E

edward

Hi Kaysie,
Very few of the airstones that can be purchased for use in an aquarium are able to cause supersaturation (and then only when driven by a very powerful pump).
If you were using a venturi injection system then I would be concerned.

Ed

J

jeffrey

Am I right in thinking temperature is also a contributing factor in gas bubble disease? As the gases saturate easier at the higher temperatures.

E

edward

Actually cooler temperatures allow a higher saturation of gases....

Ed

J

jennifer

Right, so a warm temp in an of itself wouldn't cause gas bubbles. But any rapid INCREASE in temp could potentially result in bubbles forming inside the animal.

B

bluefroggy

Hi again, I'm glad there's no real reason not to try an airstone, since they look so lovely. One more thing though -

Someone suggested to me that you can attach an airstone to a Fluval filter, but I was under the impression that you needed an entirely separate pump. Is it possible to connect it in that way?

Cheers, guys!

K

kim

Im not sure about that filter but i have a internal filter that i can attach a air inlet pipe to. While pumping out water it will pump out air mixed with the water..

I dont have this on at the moment because the only way to get a high amount of air to suck through the filter is if it is turned up high.

My filter when on high is like a wave machine.. and makes a very strong current(which axies hate).

Air stones can be driven by a seprate 'air pump' if you only want it to drive your air stone i'd advise that you only get a small one.. this will cost around £5 in the UK.

Well worth it tho keeps the tank nice and healthy.

C

carl

i have a long air stone but you can buy cube air stones what is better i have to tilt mine upwards because the flow was to fast and elliot hated it

K

kim

If u can just get a clamp or a bull dog clip to lessen the amout of air going through that should help it and u can lay it down.. mine is a lond one too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1