Alaskan Axolotl needs help.

jojobean

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I am new to this forum. I joined initially in December because I had a sick axolotl and thought someone might know what was wrong. I had two axolotls for the last 13 years. I inherited them from a professor at the college that was doing some sort of genetics research. They have been happy and healthy for years. The albino died and I believe caused some strange growths in the the tank which infected the survivor. He was coated in fungus. I gave him salt baths and used a little bit of Melafix as I kept seeing the active ingredient melaleuca helpful in treatment of skin conditions. His skin did clear up.

Now 6 or so months later (and he has been eating well) I looked in tonight and he wasn't moving at all and his tail was curled very tight. I actually thought he had died. I moved him into fresher water and I see a clear, lightly tinged pink, sac extruding from his body, near where the tail meets the abodomen, with a pink fungus like object in the interior.

Thanks.

What should I do? Does this sound famililar to anyone? This is a crazy introduction I know but I do not know anyone with an axolotl. I live in Alaska and I don't have any resources to veterinarians or zoos or salamander experts.

It sounds like a cloacal prolapse.

What kind of substrate do you have?

Does it look like the pictures of prolapse here?

Yes. It does look like a cloacal prolapse. Is there anything I can do to help?

Also the substrate is small rocks - approximately 1/2" in length on average. Too big for the axolotl to ingest as far as I have noticed. It is new substrate since the first one died. They did ingest the older smaller stuff. Thanks.

Unfortunately, 1/2" rocks are easily ingestible by an adult axolotl, but not so easily passed.

A prolapse is best treated by a veterinarian. They can remove the offending blockage, and then do what is called a purse suture to prevent future prolapses. Once a cloaca has prolapsed, they're highly prone to future prolapses.

A prolapse is a serious injury. Without reduction and treatment, your axolotl may die.

Thanks to all that replied. Sadly, my axolotl of 13+ years died today. Just so I understand correctly, is the thinking that an ingested stone may have been the cause of the prolapsed cloaca? I do not know how old he was when I got him but I think he lived a long time. Again, thanks.

It was probably a swallowed stone. A necropsy or x-rays would tell you for sure.

But if you had him for 13 years, that's already a good run for an axolotl. I'm sorry for your loss. It's always hard when we lose a member of the family.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back