Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alert: A noob went herping during a cold rain!

AnnaBeth

Reaction score
And FOUND AN AMBYSTOMA TEXANUM!

Ok...a lot of you will say..."Why you so excited?!"

Well...I have never seen a texanum alive. I have seen plenty in the lab...but never alive. He was crossing the road inbetween the woods and a pond by my house. So cute....pics attached!

Attachments

• DSC03248.jpg
    DSC03248.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC03249.jpg
    DSC03249.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC03251.jpg
    DSC03251.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 384

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a nice big one. Congratulations!

Zach42

Reaction score
Awesome, I'm jealous! Those and tigers are the only Ambystoma I have yet to find in my area.

AnnaBeth

Reaction score
I am assuming so. This was the only one we found last night...and the rain was like...perfect!

Hopefully if we get another good rain, I can see some more, but I think they have already moved.

AnnaBeth

Reaction score
This is, truthfully, my first Salamander find. I am a new and quickly budding Herpetologist. I have just had my mind opened to anything other than snakes. When I came into the wildlife field...I was a SNAKE PERSON! But now, I'm a herp person.

Here are a couple of pictures of the eggs that I found, last night. I am almost positive they are texanum eggs. The jellybean shape and size seem to be correct...I just hope they aren't chorus frog eggs. There are so so so many of them at my pond.

Attachments

• DSC03257.jpg
    DSC03257.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,356
  • DSC03258.jpg
    DSC03258.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 732

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
This is, truthfully, my first Salamander find. I am a new and quickly budding Herpetologist. I have just had my mind opened to anything other than snakes. When I came into the wildlife field...I was a SNAKE PERSON! But now, I'm a herp person.

Here are a couple of pictures of the eggs that I found, last night. I am almost positive they are texanum eggs. The jellybean shape and size seem to be correct...I just hope they aren't chorus frog eggs. There are so so so many of them at my pond.

I'm positive that isn't a A. texanum egg mass. That cluster of eggs is barely bigger than your finger! Unless your hands are just HUGE. Ambystoma egg masses can be 2-3 times the size of the egg layers body.

They look like snail eggs to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1