Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algicide

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
I have a carpeting green hair algae issue. It's dense and short hair mostly on drift wood. I clean it weekly but it's getting into my micro java ferns, Nuri Rosen Crypt and generally becoming a pest. I know algae treatments are considered a no-no with axies. My question is if I took them out to do a treatment how long before the water would be ok to put them back. I've kept the algae under control for a good while but it's getting a strong hold. I don't care if it comes back, I'd just like a reset. The water is clear and in no way green. Slight tannin tint from the wood features. I'm happy with my low light day cycle and it's really interesting to see how they behave as the light dwindles.

JM29

Reaction score
Just cleaning the tank from these algae is only a short term option.
In the long term, you will have the sale problem again and again as long as you have not corrected something in your tank :
- add other (fast-growing) plants,
- clean the substrate if any from an excess of organic matter,
-... (your investigations)

minorhero

Reaction score
Do a few (as in 3 or more) 100% water changes after treatment and you are fine to put the animal back. And yes, 100% means 100%. Drain it down to substrate, preferably below substrate (dig a hole).

Depending on what type of algae it is will also determine your success. You mention its a green 'carpet' algae. By any chance does it smell strongly like grass cuttings when you pull it out by hand and have a rough texture?

Reaction score
Just cleaning the tank from these algae is only a short term option.
In the long term, you will have the sale problem again and again as long as you have not corrected something in your tank :
- add other (fast-growing) plants,
- clean the substrate if any from an excess of organic matter,
-... (your investigations)
I agree with this. Find the root of the problem and deal with it naturally. You will likely learn a lot in the process which can be rewarding but it may take more time to sort out. But you will probably get your long term fix this way. Your axie is probably fine with the current conditions. Generally, with a green algae issue, while it may look unsightly, your water quality is probably very good as the algae is very good at uptaking all available nutrients. That is why adding other fast growing plants can help, as JM29 suggested. They actually have a chance at outcompeting the algae. Java fern is a very slow grower and won't be able to do this. I have had good luck with Rotala rotundifolia, Ludiwgia spp. and Pogostemon stellatus octopus. They have all worked for me in my unheated and relatively low light tanks.

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
I agree with this. Find the root of the problem and deal with it naturally. You will likely learn a lot in the process which can be rewarding but it may take more time to sort out. But you will probably get your long term fix this way. Your axie is probably fine with the current conditions. Generally, with a green algae issue, while it may look unsightly, your water quality is probably very good as the algae is very good at uptaking all available nutrients. That is why adding other fast growing plants can help, as JM29 suggested. They actually have a chance at outcompeting the algae. Java fern is a very slow grower and won't be able to do this. I have had good luck with Rotala rotundifolia, Ludiwgia spp. and Pogostemon stellatus octopus. They have all worked for me in my unheated and relatively low light tanks.
Interesting I thought Pogo was a demanding plant, dear as poison in Oz. I do intend to restock some stems but finding quality plants around here is difficult. I have been working at a balancing act with low light. I am happy with my progress and have good water quality. The algae was introduced by plant trading I believe.

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
Interesting I thought Pogo was a demanding plant, dear as poison in Oz. I do intend to restock some stems but finding quality plants around here is difficult. I have been working at a balancing act with low light. I am happy with my progress and have good water quality. The algae was introduced by plant trading I believe.
Minorhero I will get some photos. It is short, maybe 1/2", dark green and grows like a carpet.
Yes Java ferns are slow, but this is micro java fern🤯 so slow

minorhero

Reaction score
Minorhero I will get some photos. It is short, maybe 1/2", dark green and grows like a carpet.
Yes Java ferns are slow, but this is micro java fern🤯 so slow

If it's also rough to the the touch (as opposed to slimy) and has a strong swamp/cut grass smell to it, it might be cladophora which does not respond to the usual method of algae fighting (ie you can't kill it or contain it with lots of healthy plant growth and will instead thrive right along with the plants). I got a pretty bad infection of this a few years back when I intentionally brought it in (misidentified it as a native aquatic moss) and despite the years and many treatments, it still crops up in my tanks from time to time. If even a single tiny strand survives, it can grow back.

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
If it's also rough to the the touch (as opposed to slimy) and has a strong swamp/cut grass smell to it, it might be cladophora which does not respond to the usual method of algae fighting (ie you can't kill it or contain it with lots of healthy plant growth and will instead thrive right along with the plants). I got a pretty bad infection of this a few years back when I intentionally brought it in (misidentified it as a native aquatic moss) and despite the years and many treatments, it still crops up in my tanks from time to time. If even a single tiny strand survives, it can grow back.
Yes it's not slimey at all and is fibrous. I have a pretty bad sense of smell from the manflu at the moment but I remember it being a natural smell, not pungent so you may be onto it. Looks nothing like the long stringy stuff. I did a big clean out yesterday so I'll give it a few days and get some pics.

minorhero

Reaction score
Yes it's not slimey at all and is fibrous. I have a pretty bad sense of smell from the manflu at the moment but I remember it being a natural smell, not pungent so you may be onto it. Looks nothing like the long stringy stuff. I did a big clean out yesterday so I'll give it a few days and get some pics.
The 'fibrous' description coupled with the the 'carpeting' effect really makes me think you have cladophora. If you have more then one tank, it's possible it has already infiltrated the others. If so, you may wish to treat all tanks all at one time being VERY careful when returning livestock to not reintroduce it back. It's incredibly annoying stuff to get rid of and like I said, does not respond to typical treatments like lowering lights, controlling nutrients, or adding more fast growing plants.

Here is how it looked in my tank during one of the lesser infiltrations:

FReJxYk.jpg

gLPlU1q.jpg

Concerning treatment, you should check out the One Two Punch method. Basically dosing seachem excel and hydroperoxide. You will want to remove any animals before you do this treatment, obviously the axolotl, and I assume he has no tankmates, but if you do, remove them as well. Do the treatment, let the tank kinda run for an hour, then start your water changes. After you do 3+ 100% water changes you can put back your livestock. I've done this with crocodile newts before with zero negative effects. Good luck!

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
The 'fibrous' description coupled with the the 'carpeting' effect really makes me think you have cladophora. If you have more then one tank, it's possible it has already infiltrated the others. If so, you may wish to treat all tanks all at one time being VERY careful when returning livestock to not reintroduce it back. It's incredibly annoying stuff to get rid of and like I said, does not respond to typical treatments like lowering lights, controlling nutrients, or adding more fast growing plants.

Here is how it looked in my tank during one of the lesser infiltrations:

FReJxYk.jpg

gLPlU1q.jpg

Concerning treatment, you should check out the One Two Punch method. Basically dosing seachem excel and hydroperoxide. You will want to remove any animals before you do this treatment, obviously the axolotl, and I assume he has no tankmates, but if you do, remove them as well. Do the treatment, let the tank kinda run for an hour, then start your water changes. After you do 3+ 100% water changes you can put back your livestock. I've done this with crocodile newts before with zero negative effects. Good luck!
2 axies
200 shrimp
No probs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1