Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

All amphibians on Sicily

Odesseiron

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a good section but I'm new here and I'd like to ask some question.
Namely:
I'm going to spend a week on Sicily. I think that they've got some interesting "slippy" species.
I will be on the Lipari Islands ( Vulcano, Lipari maybe Panarea and Stromboli), also round the Palermo, Messine, Taormina.
What kind of newts, frogs, toads I will be able to meet? Of course photograph too.
I know that's detailed question, but please help me before I fly. (on Saturday - 7.07.07 :))
Emil

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we missed the boat on this one. Sorry! Please let us know how you get on.

franceschino

Reaction score
No caudates on Sicily I'm afraid. But you can find:
Bufo bufo
Bufo viridis
green frogs
Hyla intermedia
Discoglossus pictus
Hope I haven't forgotten any.
Ciao
Francesco

Odesseiron

Reaction score
Ok, never mind.
As I said I was in Palermo, Taormina and Lipari Islands.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of species written by Francesco Spallone.
I think Sicily is too dry. There are no ponds, only some brooks in the middle of island.
But this is the paradise for reptiles. I've got some photos of them.
Tarentola mauritanica, Hemidactylus turcicus, Podarcis sicula, Podarcis wagleriana, Coluber viridiflavus etc.
On the 23 of July I fly to Sofia in Bulgaria and I hope I'll have more luck.
Greetings from Warsaw, Emil

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1