Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Almost 1 yr and many more speckles later!

nina89

Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I'd share the changes of my axie with you all!
Its been 8 months since i got bandit(he's grown half an inch he's now over 8inches) and hes now got lots of speckles, I havn't really noticed the changes cause I see them daily. The speckles are stretching more around the sides and I think he has more bright green irridiphores over the heaviest patches of black speckles which are beautiful over his colour; i tried using flash so you can see it a little better in the overhead photo.
The first pic i took when i first got bandit and the others are pics of ariel and bandit together in a temporary tub while cleaning that i took today.

Attachments

• 100_3501.jpg
    100_3501.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 358
  • ariel and bandit.jpg
    ariel and bandit.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 342
  • bandit.jpg
    bandit.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 322

jay_coward

Reaction score
That sure is one speckly axie :) They both look really cool and I like your set up in the first pic

SanderB

Reaction score
wow, amazing, would love to have one like that

nina89

Reaction score
thanks everyone!
About the breeding; Bandit and Ariel are related(somehow) and when i bred Ariel and Ross(both wild type) out of the 200 I kept I got two heavily speckled leucistic axies and many lightly speckled so it seems the colour will continue through breeding. Sadly one of them died of unknown reasons so I only have one now(hoping its female). Heres a picture of the survivor next to a leucistic with almost no speckles, you can see that the speckles arent as obvious as when it was younger (http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ae-breeding/81331-some-my-axolotl-juvies.html) but theres still quite a difference between the two.
If I do breed I'd look to aim at having a batch with 25-50% speckled(worth a try) cos I only want to keep 50-100 eggs myself so theres a higher chance theres more than a few speckled in the batch, and I'll sell the rest of the eggs and maybe you guys in aus could end up with some!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 291

SanderB

Reaction score
That one has almost nothing. I heard then when you raise them with a lot of light they get darker in colour.

nina89

Reaction score
There are probably many factors that can change their colour eg food but my axies are all raised with no light (just room light) and varied food so in this case Im confident it's genetic. The pic doesn't really show the Juvies coloring too well but you get the general idea you can't see any speckles on the 2nd Axie in the pic but he does have some speckles on his nose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!