Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine babies possibly for sale

C

chris

I am going to try to breed my alpines, but want to know if there will be anyone who would want any surplus babies (probably for free or nominal sum) BEFORE I end up with tons of morphs and no homes for them. If no-one wants any, I may just leave most of the eggs with the adults - that's assuming they do breed - and only rear a few.
Thanks Chris
P.S. Email me if you want.

D

david

If you live in the U.S> I'll be glad to take some eggs off your hands

J

jennifer

Chris, I think there is zero chance that you would end up with a lack of homes for them. Alpine newts are a relatively sought-after species. A more significant limitation is the amount of space and time you will have available to raise a quantity of them.

My other thought is that there are some people that would take any excess eggs off your hands gladly (count me in!). I wish you the best of luck in your breeding!

caleb

Reaction score
Much as I hate to disagree with Jennifer, I notice that Chris is in the UK, and there is nowhere near as much demand for alpines here.

I'd recommend trying to sell the eggs first (the best way to buy and sell newts in my opinion), and only raising a few larvae.

You're much more likely to end up with good healthy juveniles if you concentrate on a few rather than trying to raise the whole lot.

C

chris

Hi every body!
I didn't expect this number of posts! Yes I am in the UK and I would probably not send outside the UK, unless someone would pay all the LEGAL shipping costs. I don't have any eggs yet, but the females are fat and the males are courting, so there'll be eggs to follow. I suppose I can always let the adults eat any unwanted eggs.
It's my first time with larvae and eggs, so any tips on keeping them? I want to try a few different methods and see which ones work best, for the newts AND my time. I have a daphnia/infusoria culture on standby (my pond's had an algae bloom so no lack of greenwater).
Thanks in advance and also for the number of people who've responded already.
Chris

C

chris

Hey again,
I would also trade some for a female fuzhongensis.
Also, Imay possibly have a few montandoni eggs aswell - I got the plants from a man who keeps montandoni, and he said that there might have been carpathian newt eggs in with the plants, so I didn't complain! I will try to get round to taking a look...
As soon as I difinately have eggs, perhaps we should move this thread to the 'forsale'section.
Chris
P.S. my email will soon be changing, so I will post the new one here so you send to the right adress
As soon as I definately have some egg

N

nate

Chris, you might want to look into selling them through Glades Herp. I know a guy in England who has sold limited numbers of cb P. poireti and Neuregus strauchi through them. I believe they work out a deal to cover the shipping. Might want to give it a try, they'll certainly sell easily in the states.

C

chris

Right, I have at least 21 eggs. I can fish some more out of the tank if I need to and the females are still full of eggs. Who would want baby alpines in the UK and how many? Also a pair of mature alpines may be available. They all go free to good homes. I live in Kent, so if you live some distance away you would have to arrange collection. I could deliver to anywhwere reasonably near to Sevenoaks (nr. Tonbridge)
Please email with any questions
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!