Alpine Newt Disappeared

Ankor38

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a pair of Ichthyosaura alpestris in a 29 gallon tank that is filled about ~70% of the way, and pretty sparsely decorated with some Mopani wood sticking out of the water on the right and some horn wart on the left. I got them about half a year ago when I was just beginning to get into newts so I am pretty attached them, but I still am learning what I’m doing and that is what this is about. About a week ago is when the female stopped showing up and I didn’t think anything of it because it likes to use the mopani wood as a hide but today I thought it was strange that I hadn’t seen it and decided to pull out the wood and it wasn’t there, it wasn’t anywhere in the tank. I sifted through the sand, checked the sides and back of the tank stand to see if it had gotten out but it wasn’t there, I checked the wood and nothing. Since I don’t know what to do or where it could have gone, I figured I should ask for advice on here. So do any more experienced individuals know what could have happened?

Hi,
The first thing I would think about is escape.
Is there a lid on your tankand is it well escape-proof ?
If not, you can suspect your newt escaped. You can try to put a wet towel on the ground to attract it (but 1 week is long).

The second think to consider is your newt could have dug under a decor (wood, stone) and have been stuck up (and so drown).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back