Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newt in pond

benw

Reaction score
I found this female Alpine newt (apuanus) in my customers pond today, and judging by the size of her, and the other i found, they are full of eggs.

I found 1 male- no crest as yet but his cloaca was quite swollen, the only suitable place for egg deposition are the mass of decaying beech leaves (fagus) on the bottom of the pond. A few fish are in the pond too, the pond is roughly triangular with sides of about 2 metres.

I saw one male palmate newt too, no doubt others will be arriving soon.

Ben

Attachments

• Image031.jpg
    Image031.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3,233
  • Image030(1).jpg
    Image030(1).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 3,325

pesco

Reaction score
Wow, its a bit early, and temperatures are not very suitable either.
It might be worth to breed them in a tank. As you mentioned there are fish in the pond so I'm pretty sure not many (if any at all!) will survive to morph stage. Finding another pond nearby, one without fish, would be a good idea too, but care should be taken if chemistry of water is right (no pesticides, fertilizers etc.)

benw

Reaction score
I think they will survive in the pond ok with the fish, especially with the amount of leaves in the pond.
Moving them is not an option with our laws regarding what is concidered an alien species, i may take a pair an put them in a tank and get a few pics at a later date, but for now i will leave them be, last year i saw about 10-12 pairs in the pond, so its not a bad little population.

Ben

JJS

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question - but could they be overwintering there (rather than having gone to breed)?

louise

Reaction score
They do look big, don't they? I've got a group I have indoors,and they have been courting each other for the last few weeks. I have a couple of males with impressive crests, and a couple of runty, drab looking males. It's funny to see the tiny runty little ones tail fanning for all they're worth!

benw

Reaction score
The females are about 5 inches long, the males roughly 3 inches.

I had a pair in a tank for a few weeks last year and raised the resulting eggs, about 20 morhed i think, i released all back in the pond.

A pic of the pond below, it has both palmate and smooth newts in too.

Ben

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,044

marco

Reaction score
Thats beautiful Ben, do you use filtration on the pond or do the plants do all the work?

I think I encounterd a Palmate male last year in my garage, though I thought the only populations in Stockport were the Smooth newt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!